• I hate polls... gaaackkkkkphft... ick ick ick

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • I am a hypocrite cause I voted #2 also

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • I refuse to vote in this poll!

Votes: 13 56.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally I like seeing polls that give a little insight on how others dive: what sort of gear they use for certain situations, how to react in certain situations, etc... polls that help me be a better diver.

The polls I can generally do without are the ones that provide fairly useless information. No offense to anyone, but the types I find useless, for me personally anyway, are the ones asking things such as your certifying agency (it's the instructor that matters) or your age (age doesn't dictate maturity or experience). These are things that really don't help me be a better/safer diver.

In my opinion, polls that are valuable are the ones that show me the correct or most efficient way to use a piece of gear, the best gear for a particular dive site/situation, how best to react in an emergency, the "what if/what would you do" polls, where the best diving is, where the worst diving is... those sorts of things. Those are the kinds of polls I like to bookmark, come back to and re-read over and over.

But with that being said, sometimes ya need a poll that'll give you a good laugh: http://www.scubaboard.com/t8365/s.html

:D

I thought for sure I'd open your message to find a poll on what I think of polls!:D

first two respondents said :)

Also I would like to see a little more use of the time limit on some of the polls.

I do like the poll feature overall.

I read the poll threads, but I don't bother to look at the poll results. I just scroll down to the responses to read what people have to say about the topic of the poll.

The way most of the polls are phrased, I couldn't answer even if I wanted to. Sometimes the answer I want to choose is not listed as an option. Sometimes the entire poll is utter nonsense.

The principle problem with polls is that they always - always produce innacurate conclusions. The reason is that there are always exceptions to the choices presented - and the choices presented are nothing more than the preconceived notions of the pollster.
Here's an extreme example, one that on the surface of it seems foolproof and all inclusive:
Are you
___ male
___ female
check only one.
Seems ok, right? But there are hermaphrodites (even without considering the folks who are a bit confused on the issue) - in constructing the poll I let my preconception that every person can be classified as either "male" or "female" cause me to create a poll whose result will not reflect the facts, because there are exceptions.
Here's another - mathmatically pure, but not quite reality... "There are two kinds of people... there are those who divide people into two kinds, and those who do not. Which are you?"
Rick

Personally I enjoy most of them and find the answers interesting. I thought the age poll was very interesting. Nothing stupid about it. If the poll is stupid I don't participate. No one forces you to even open one! :)

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

... I'll see if I can add one with my moderator super powers.
Is that like the wonder twin super powers?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom