What do you think about Wreck diving?

What do you think of Wreck diving?

• I like diving the artificial reef wrecks because they are much safer and would not change anything.

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • I wish the artificial reefs wrecks were not stripped so much before sinking.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • I would rather dive a true wreck, one that has gone down in a storm or similar reason.

Votes: 30 66.7%
  • I wish there were a huge complete with guns battle ship sunk off the Florida coast available for div

Votes: 11 24.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The up side of Great Lakes wreck diving is there are some many of them. Some shallow enough to snorkle in the warmest part of the summer (several in Thunder Bay near Alpena come to mind) the down side is the how cold the water stays, even is August. A wet suit is really not the answer to stay warm around here... a dry suit is almost a MUST.

Frankenmuth Tom

While I can understand "artificial reefs"....there is nothing better than diving a "real wreck"!! Learning the story of the wreck, and looking at the china, equipment, etc., that went down with her.

ages

Just got back from diving the "Graveyard of the Atlantic" out of Morehead City in North Carolina...........INCREDIBLE.

One sad feature is the "acquiring of artifacts". Many, many interesting features have been stripped away by divers-the same items that create the "character" and "uniquness" of the wreck.

The dive shop I dove with(great group of people) took the 20mil. cannon off the U352 sub and placed it on their dock. I told one of the guys that they should have just salvaged the whole damn sub and that way I wouldn't have had to pay them the $85.00 to go down and see-it would save me a lot of hassle. Of course I was being sarcastic.

I understand that this is perfectly legal and is done by just about everyone but it sure don't leave much at the bottom to look at. The Captain said that "since the U352 is a grave site you cannot disturb the remains of the 13 sailors." He went on to say "Someone from a dive shop took a skull and put it it thier shop window, but then the German government made a big deal about it and he returned it." Judging by the eagerness with which some divers strip a wreck of every last morsel, I am willing to bet that if a diver went down and counted all the bones there wouldn't be enough to make 13 skeletons.

They do a lot of spearing on those wrecks too which I was shocked by.

People think the sea will go on giving forever.

I think the wrecks are cool but I love the marine life and how the ocean can turn something like the loss of a ship-and perhaps life-into something living again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom