What do you think about Wreck diving?

What do you think of Wreck diving?

• I like diving the artificial reef wrecks because they are much safer and would not change anything.

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • I wish the artificial reefs wrecks were not stripped so much before sinking.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • I would rather dive a true wreck, one that has gone down in a storm or similar reason.

Votes: 30 66.7%
  • I wish there were a huge complete with guns battle ship sunk off the Florida coast available for div

Votes: 11 24.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HDrider

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Myself I would like to see more left on the wrecks. One of the best wrecks I have been on was the Hydro Atlantic. This Ship was in tow to be taken for repairs when it went down in a storm. It is the most complete wreck I have ever been on and I enjoyed it more for this reason.

Hope you enjoy this!

Tom

If the ship went down in a storm/through collision etc then clearly it'll be "complete" but if you're going to sink a ship deliberately to act as an artificial reef then I think it makes good sense to clean it up and remove items which might increase the risks for divers exploring the wreck. There will always be a lot more of the former variety for divers to explore than the latter so if you like your wrecks as they were then leave the artificial reef wrecks alone.

A wreck sunk as an artificial reef is to steril to make a good wreck dive. Yes, it will atract sea life and can be a good dive but it is not the same as exploring a real wreck. Not even close.

but make for good practice dives...reel use, etc.

Although I have never been on a wreck dive from what I have seen on TV I would prefer a "real" wreck over an artificial wreck. Having said that; I would be quite happy to see the Spiegel Grove next month since it would be new. I am fascinated by the wrecks of the Great Lakes.

As for huge battleships(4 in the US Navy in my mind) I would prefer they never be sunk and I find it sad that they are museums now but I still want to see the Wisconsin.

Wrecks are like sex- there are no bad wrecks, some are just better than others.

Originally posted by daylight
Wrecks are like sex- there are no bad wrecks, some are just better than others.

Another reason wrecks are like sex... if you go charging in without a plan and the right saftey equipment, you might get yourself into a lot of trouble!:gjoker:

I want the best of both worlds.

I want "neat" artificial reefs for beginners and visitors so that the pressure is off of the historical wrecks.

I want to practise on artificals and execute on real.

I want everyone else on the artificials and I want the 100 year old schooners all to myself (and LY and Gadget and DG and Butch and O2Diver, and ....)

:mean:
I just dove 3 different wrecks this past weekend, the first was the Mogran a ship sunk during WW II with tanks and other goodies still on it :cheer: :clapping: hit it twice for about 20 to 30 minutes each time about 100' down.
The 2nd was a wreck/night dive about 60' and the ship had been knocked down because it was too close to the shipping lanes, but it was still way cool.
Sunday did two on an up right fishing trawler, pretty much in good shape.... but kind of boring. Good dive about 70' and had some good fish and things to see.
I like them all and like wreck diving more than any of it out there.

Rich :mean:

There are over 5000 wrecks in the Great Lakes alone, many of them still not yet found. It is awesome to descend on a wreck for the first time and see her in her final resting place. Escpecially if you have done a little research on it before you dove it and know how she sank, storm, collision etc. and know the fight the crew put up to save it from being a wreck.

Back
Top Bottom