What do you love about diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geoff_H

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've just realised I'm divng every day of every weekend this month, leading to the utter exclusion of land based friends & tasks and wondered what is it about diving that draws us in and hooks us?

Please share what you love about scuba diving on this thread.. My starters ...

* getting out of the City into the green and blue of the natural world
* the feeling of weightlessness and ability to perform graceful gymnastics underwater
* the diverse and beautiful variety of marine creatures and plants
* the camaraderie and fun that comes with meeting new people every weekend
* the rapture on clear, bright days - not narcosis but the feeling of space and unadulterated joy of floating over a teeming coral reef packed with hundreds of species of pretty fish.
* the feeling of accomplishment after successfully executing challenging dives and still surfacing safely having enjoyed the whole experience

The thrill of adventure and the wonder of what I'll see next.
The peace and quiet.
Hunting for and eating my own catch (knowing where it came from and that I got it).
I just get this overwhelming sense of peace when I'm underwater, almost like I belong there.

I'm very new to diving, bt what fascinates me so much is how you just enter a very different world which seems to be just waiting to be explored.

I love the weightless feeling (like flying) and how the water feels on my skin first. Then it's all about exploring the ocean and the life you can find there.

What do I NOT like about diving? That is an easier question! :D

I have always been a water person in every way. I'm even a Pisces! :wink:
* It's so meditative to me. All I hear is my breath and exhaust bubbles and that is very soothing to me. Especially when your breathing in a nice, slow, rhythmic pace.
*There is something about the fish being right there next to you with no glass between the two of you.
* I also love watching Nature take its course right in front of me.The last dive I went on in Monterey, I watched a Spider crab eating away on a Moon Jellyfish he caught.
* Of course, getting new gear is way cool!
* I like most of the people I have met through diving. Very caring, wonderful people that will help you anyway they can.

It's just awesome!
I guess the only thing I don't like about diving is driving home! :wink:

Oh, I guess rinsing my gear and wetsuit, but that's just nitpicky>

I like all of the above & I would add that, It's like being a kid again with so many new things to explore.

the ability to leave all my trouble and worries behind and enter a new and exiting world of wonder and enchantment . where every dive is different for a different reason .

and the fact that the narcotic effect brings me to euphioria on each and every dive

heaven is a place underwater

The peace and relaxation (beats yoga by miles) :zen:

The feeling of entering another world where there's always new and amazing things to see, with no glass to seperate you

The colour and motion of fish, coral, kelp, nudibranchs... so many beautiful and fascinating things

Sharing the world with a friend

I've just realised I'm divng every day of every weekend this month, leading to the utter exclusion of land based friends & tasks and wondered what is it about diving that draws us in and hooks us?

Please share what you love about scuba diving on this thread.. My starters ...

* getting out of the City into the green and blue of the natural world
* the feeling of weightlessness and ability to perform graceful gymnastics underwater
* the diverse and beautiful variety of marine creatures and plants
* the camaraderie and fun that comes with meeting new people every weekend
* the rapture on clear, bright days - not narcosis but the feeling of space and unadulterated joy of floating over a teeming coral reef packed with hundreds of species of pretty fish.
* the feeling of accomplishment after successfully executing challenging dives and still surfacing safely having enjoyed the whole experience

traveling to a Caribbean island 3 or 4 times a year isn't bad.......plus, most sites that I dive are pretty & adventurous to 'get to'.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom