What do you look for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Currently my top 3 items I would like to see on a dive are:
1) Pirate's gold off the west side (near 'Pray for Sex' beach)
2) Japanese mini sub off Hickam/Pearl
3) Spanish Gallion (I'll settle for one with out the gold)

Pretty much anything else is gravy for me.

Spotted Eagle Rays always work.

yup...me too.

Top spot goes to whales and monks seals....(duh!)

But lately, I have been watching for Potter's Angels. saw a bunch of fish I had not seen for awhile the other day off Sea Caves. (viz was bad....couldn't find the cave)

oh...I saw that black Juvie grouper with the blue spots!!!

oh..these guys, Crown Toby? are cute with their cartoon faces.

TobyandFriends-1.jpg

I was really hoping for some whales on Sunday. I saw em splashin around on the surface before I headed out @ the pipe. Could hear them the entire time, THEN as I get back in I look out and see them splashing near the end of the pipe...ahh. I didn't know they would even get that close the shore.

catherine96821:
But lately, I have been watching for Potter's Angels.
I've seen plenty of Potter's Angels in Kona, but I cannot get a photo of one to save myself. Most elusive little fish out there, immediately duck into cover on approach.

Flame Angels are high on my list.

Flame Angels
usually deep, yes? Do you see many over there?

I will post you a Potter's...not in focus, but my best shot of one. I almost passed out from skip breathing and stalking him.

A catfish in nice to see from time to time . . . . :shakehead

the K

catherine96821:

I will post you a Potter's...not in focus, but my best shot of one. I almost passed out from skip breathing and stalking him.
No, the Flame Angels were not too deep, less than 80', just rare. Maybe saw 2-3 in the 8 or so vacations over there. Fairly tame little guys when I did see them, all before I had a camera of course. Fish see the camera and that is the end of it now. Bandit Angelfish is the only usually deep-dweller I can think of looking for.

So the Flame Angels are not seen much here on Oahu?

catherine96821:

Re: Flame angels. I know of one flame angel near a popular mooring, that I don't think is common knowledge yet, in about 35 feet of water. There's been one living for years under the mooring the Body Glove snorkel boat that everyone knows about that's in about 23 feet of water. I tend to find them on dropoffs at about 55-65 feet with reasonable frequency. Last year we did a dive in a spot we hadn't dove before and saw 2 or three separate groups, that was a surprise. Shallowest I've seen 'em was at about 19 feet.

I've been trying to get a photo of either flame angels or potters angels and have had prety much zip for luck. The other day I was trying to take a shot of a pair of potters and a flame angle jumped right into the mix... didn't turn out, then I realized the camera does shoot video, so I backed off and zoomed in (with the zoom you'll notice lots of shake, but it did turn out). Here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqfeWfUK3j4

I often mistake the Potter's for the Flame when I first spot them. I need a better fish ID source for Hawaiian fish. The one I have is useless.

I know of one flame angel near a popular mooring

Lopaka, I think the fish collectors take them so we don't announce things like frogfish, etc.

I see more Potter's than Flames. hey...do you know why they are called Potter's?

no Googling now..

PottersAngel2.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom