What do you look for in students to tell if they are ready for AN/DP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe things are different in the UK. Everyone I know personally was required to shoot an smb in ccr class using a closed bag orally inflated. It really is not hard at all, it’s not risky or dangerous. The idea that’s it’s dangerous to orally inflate a bag on ccr is puzzling to me. As has been stated by several people it isn’t hard.
To your point of having enough breath to clear the loop: take a breath from the bov or your bailout. Or even better, be intelligent enough to not use every single last ounce of breath you have. In a lot of your posts you really seem to think the most basic things are dangerous, hard to do, or risky.
Go off the loop to inflate the bag…. Sorry, that’s just plain crazy when there’s perfectly good inflator hoses to do the job. Even use a gas nozzle to inflate a open bottom bag.

End of dive, reach back for reel, pull off bungee loop holding bag to reel. Tighten reel. Undo SMB loop, hold reel in left hand, look around, tug string for gas release. Done. Start ascending. 10 seconds?

If using an SMB it must be deployed from the wreck as you’ll drift. Plenty of skippers have shouted at those that disobey this rule. One bag per diver is more normal as the skipper needs to count the bags before pulling up the shot line. It is common to drift miles downstream of the wreck if there’s a long decompression obligation.

Go off the loop to inflate the bag…. Sorry, that’s just plain crazy when there’s perfectly good inflator hoses to do the job. Even use a gas nozzle to inflate a open bottom bag.

End of dive, reach back for reel, pull off bungee loop holding bag to reel. Tighten reel. Undo SMB loop, hold reel in left hand, look around, tug string for gas release. Done. Start ascending. 10 seconds?

If using an SMB it must be deployed from the wreck as you’ll drift. Plenty of skippers have shouted at those that disobey this rule. One bag per diver is more normal as the skipper needs to count the bags before pulling up the shot line. It is common to drift miles downstream of the wreck if there’s a long decompression obligation.
You do whatever you want. It doesn't really affect me. But to say it's crazy is silly. It is not a hard thing to do. Try it once or twice, and if you don't like it stick with your inflator hose. If you said you've tried it a ton and your way works best for you, so be it. To think of the concept of coming off the loop briefly to inflate is dangerous is ridiculous to me. If you(the royal you not you in particular) can't manage buoyancy and trim coming off the loop for a few seconds, then that scares me of the quality of your skills as a ccr diver. So try it and come up with an informed statement, rather than just assume something is dangerous or difficult. Your comments would hold more water that way.
Like I said, you seem to make or find the most simple things very difficult, and I don't really know why.

I know of nobody and I mean nobody, who dives in the sea who orally inflates a SMB bag. This is some form of instructor taskloading skills nonsense on a training bag in a quarry.

1634306301021.jpeg

Inflator hose SMB inflations are so hard to do that I did it blindfolded during my SDI Solo certification.

Removing the rebreather loop to inflate an SMB... shrugs. :bicker:

CO2 cartridge SMB inflation FTW

No, but the inner rim of your thumb/index finger of your dry glove do. And your lips seal against your dry glove :wink:

No issues getting plenty of gas in a 2m smb by exhaling into it. Lots of issues and hazards associated with creating a rocket that’s attached to you by a piece of string….
I NEVER thought about this. I always end up putting the whole thing in my mouth and press the spigot against my teeth to make a remotely acceptable seal.

This method shall be tried on my very next dive! :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom