What do you look for in students to tell if they are ready for AN/DP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Main issue with lots of stages and sidemount is your width on the boat, particularly getting through the 'gate'.

Most sidemounters on a boat that I see will climb into their harness then stand up, away from the bench, to put on their cylinders. A competent sidemounter's hardly noticed on a boat.

On a RIB sidemounting's fine except for getting back into the boat as your weight is integrated into the harness and getting out of that in the water can be challenging -- more practice!

Where sidemount becomes difficult is when diving with large steel cylinders and decompression cylinders.

Main issue with lots of stages and sidemount is your width on the boat, particularly getting through the 'gate'.
I agree, but dive boats differ from region to region.

This is a common size and type of boat used in the UAE

You need a thick and long one. Girth matters enormously as does length. Skinny ones are hard to see.

1634205721088.png

My 12th birthday is in a few weeks.

You don’t "keep it up" -- putting enough weight on the string to hoist the SMB vertically needs a fair amount of weight which you're not going to add to the reel unless you're literally hanging off of it. "Hanging" on the reel/spool is a really bad thing as you will be overweighted: you'll drop like a stone if the bag/string breaks, you'll probably be vertical (bad for decompression), it's lazy, you're not in control.

You are neutrally buoyant at your stop. You don't need to hang on to the reel/spool as you're drifting in the current just as fast as the SMB. The surface wind will slowly blow the SMB along so you may gently fin behind it (it's slow because of the drag of the string and reel).

Most importantly the reel/spool bobs up and down with the surface waves which you'll be unaware of at 6m/20' -- unless a storm has blown up! With larger waves the reel/spool will bob up and down a fair way, sometimes 2m/6' in bad conditions, or when a passing ship's wake runs through.

I tend to have the reel/spool set a couple of feet / 60cm below me and back off from it. Then there's a visual reference for your depth without watching your computer like a hawk. Actually you can sense through the pressure of your drysuit if you're ascending/descending.

If you've a long final stop it's almost zen-like where you can do what blokes like doing most... nothing. It's really calming like meditating as there's literally nothing you can do whilst you wait for your surface GF to drop to GF-hi. Personally I like that "me" time.

SMB sizing...

This has to be said. An SMB is useless if it's small or not properly inflated. The boat skipper/captain needs to be able to see and identify it on the surface within the field of drifting SMBs. A pathetic weedy little training SMB -- one of those 1m/3' things you fill with one breath -- has no place on a real dive. Those are training blobs purely for quarries. You need a thick and long one. Girth matters enormously as does length. Skinny ones are hard to see.

When you're inflating them on the bottom, it's much easier to completely fill the SMB when inflating deeper as the gas is at a higher intermediate pressure for the same amount of injection time. Thinking of the typical Halcyon et al SMBs with the inflator spigot which you connect your drysuit inflator hose to.

Big, in this case, is better.

It is massively easier to use a self-inflating SMB such as a 'crack bottle' or CO2 cylinder(s) to inflate it. My primary of choice is 2m/6'6" long and pretty thick, it's inflated with two 16g CO2 cartridges so is incredibly quick and simple to inflate -- especially on a rebreather where you don't have endless gas supplies.

The colour is orange or red. Yellow, in technical diving, is generally taken as an emergency signalling SMB, as you would have agreed with the boat in advance what you want them to do should you send up a second small yellow SMB up the string. Yes, advanced diving, but it might mean that you want them to send down your emergency deco cylinder from the boat.

On the surface...

When you've completed your final stop you will slowly ascend to the surface. 1m/3' per minute is often used as a guide.

Just before you leave your final stop you'll do a quick check of everything. Make sure your hoses are all neatly stowed away (if using multiple deco cylinders); make sure they're properly clipped off; tuck your umbilical torch cable in. Basically you don't want to look like a sack of *** when you surface, but most importantly you don't want to have hoses/cables/whatever catching on the boat as you climb out otherwise it's an expensive day.

Arriving on the surface you inflate your BCD/wing and close your drysuit dump. Then you hold on to the SMB and raise it vertically to let the boat see you're up. Then wait for them to come to you and pick you up. It's amazing on the surface just how noisy and horrible it is in comparison to the past hours(?) spent on the dive and at deco. Mayhem describes it nicely when the wind's picked up since you jumped in.

When the boat passes beside you, you will pass the SMB up to someone leaning over the side (another reason for a long SMB). Then you can get around to the stern to climb into the dive lift -- or ladder if you're in the US ; how quaint!

You don't need to fill the SMB all the way when you're shooting it from depth. When I'm shooting from 100'+ (30m for you guys and your fancy metric system), I rarely fill it more than a third of the way, the magic of Boyle's law does the rest. You can put hash marks on your SMB that will help with making sure it's full at the surface. I have hash marks for 33', 66', 99' on mine - fill to the hash mark depending on the depth you're at and viola. I'll be happy to grab a photo of them sometime in the near future and post it here.

I agree with letting it bob and stay neutrally buoyant yourself. You shouldn't need to touch the reel to maintain your depth. The nice thing is you'll never notice the depth changes even in rough seas because you will rise and drop with the peaks/troughs if you're properly neutral.

The SMB needs to be standing up when you're drifting in a current or a boat tracking multiple groups of divers may never find you in a light chop. The weight of the reel will help keep the SMB up. A slight tug does wonders too, but you should not be using the reel to keep yourself neutral.

No visual references in this case means shorelines, anchor lines, etc that can give you an idea of depth / location.

Sidemount diving off of a boat seems like a pain I should probably avoid but I'm not certain yet.

If you're going to be that guy then please be sure to tip the boat crew extra. This comes down to etiquette, getting off the boat is easy, any idiot can fall off a transom, getting back on is the difficult part and will probably require deck hands.

BTW - in these parts, hanging in the surface of the water to get your sidemount stuff on is no bueno. When the captain shouts "dive dive dive" he means "get your ass off the boat NOW or you'll never hit the wreck."

The SMB needs to be standing up when you're drifting in a current or a boat tracking multiple groups of divers may never find you in a light chop. The weight of the reel will help keep the SMB up. A slight tug does wonders too, but you should not be using the reel to keep yourself neutral.
Depends if you’ve got a big one or not. Oooh errr.

In the F4 (force 4 wind) the other day I was a fair way from the boat when I surfaced. The 2m/7' SMB was quite a struggle to hold upright in the wind to signal to the boat. If it was to be held upright by the string alone it would need a lot of weight which isn’t an option nor available.

Talking to skippers, they say that girth not length is most important for them to see it.

When we were lost in the Gulf Stream in 2019, we could see the boat, but the boat could not see us. it was at least two miles away, a dot on the horizon. We had three large DSMBs deployed.

The only reason why we got picked up was that I had a signal mirror. I was able to signal a fishing boat a mile or so away which came over to see if we needed help.

Since then, I always carry a signal mirror in addition to two DSMBs when doing a drift deco dive.

When the boat passes beside you, you will pass the SMB up to someone leaning over the side (another reason for a long SMB). Then you can get around to the stern to climb into the dive lift -- or ladder if you're in the US ; how quaint!
There are a few US boats with lifts. One in Florida, one in NC, and mine in the Great Lakes. Not the norm, but it does exist.
1634219621719.png

Looks like there's some great hand-holds on that boat. Really useful when the boat's lurching around in the sea.

A British summer - calm but misty. A week day and only three of us diving. Normally up to 12 on that boat.

Dive lift and boat deck.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom