What do you look for in a dive knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was unaware of that, I thought titanium was titanium and it's all the same. I'm aware of different types of steel. Learn something new. So how does one know what type of titanium one has and which one is the best? What type of titanium do you recommend? Cheers.

---------- Post added August 25th, 2015 at 09:32 AM ----------

I would have thought if some titanium was better than others it would be advertised as such? No one misses an opportunity to inform prospective buyers that their product is in someway superior to the competition, look at advertising for steel knives for example.

TBH, I know that Ti is harder to sharpen and doesn't hold an edge as well as good quality steel. Thus, until I started diving, I never owned a Ti knife and haven't even glanced at info on different Ti alloys for knives in quite a while. So, I have no recommendation, and my only explanation for why they don't tout the alloy more is probably that, because most consumers don't realize there are better and not-as-good alloys of Ti, the manufacturers probably mostly use whichever one is most cost effective for them, resulting in use of an alloy they probably don't want to tout.

If my DGX knife is dull in 6 months or a year, for $25, I'll just buy another one! :)

Fixed or folding?
I dive in cold water fixed blade

Long or short length blade?
I like long blade.

Serrated - Full-length or partial-length?
partial-length

Cutting edge on both sides of blade?
No, I prefer one edge only, not both

Line cutter in blade?
Yes, please.

Tip - Blunt or pointed?
Pointed

Hollow or solid handle?
I have a hollow handle and is lighter weight because of it.

Connect to BC or strap to leg?
Have 1 only and connected to leg

Lanyard/dummy cord hole?
Take it or leave it

Mirror, satin, or coated finish?
Mirror. And with a slight sheen of silicone grease.

Titanium is not the best blade material, it doesn't hold its edge as well and can be difficult to sharpen. The only real "benefit" to titanium is that it wit rust but a properly cared for steel knife won't either.

I've used a knife about once every 150 dives. Usually to cut fishing line or anchor lines. IMO the cheap titanium knives on e-bay, bought used, or the one in the earlier post for $25 can't be beat.

In theory titanium doesn't hold an edge like specialty steels but it will hold a edge sharper than ANY required for diving needs. The advantage of titanium is I can leave it in my B.C. pocket for the entire dive season without rusting worries.Beta titanium, "pure" titanium all the same for knife use. It sits on a retractable line with a slate and i use it twice as often as the knife.

Fixed blade, in a sheath, titanium about 5.5 inches overall, used on e-bay for $25 delivered or less.It, the slate and gloves all sit in my BC pocket for the whole dive season.

Titanium is not the best blade material, it doesn't hold its edge as well and can be difficult to sharpen. The only real "benefit" to titanium is that it wit rust but a properly cared for steel knife won't either.
Use a diamond sharpening stone. Not the traditional stones.

I have no idea as to specific alloys just that they were "titanium". Within a year IIRC. I don't remeber all brand names but one of them was a Wenoka Squeeze.
You have to watch what you buy... MANY knives are listed as Ti but really are steel with a Ti coating, and sometimes not that thick.

It has to be the Rambo III model or later, 14 inch blade minimum, and ensures I have plenty of space on the boat.

I kid, I kid.

I like a line cutter on my dive computer (Eezycut trilobyte). A blunt tipped dive tool/knife on my waist or sheers. I've only used the blade once for kelp snagged on my fin spring strap.

trilobite on my computer- for line cutting - shears in my dry suit pocket carpet strands thin material and line cutting - side cutters also in may dry suit pocket -cables and wires, hacking knife with a saw like edge on my waist belt- anything else

If you could have a dive knife with everything you wanted what would it have?
Fixed or folding?
Long or short length blade?
Serrated - Full-length or partial-length?
Cutting edge on both sides of blade?
Line cutter in blade?
Tip - Blunt or pointed?
Hollow or solid handle?
Styling?
Connect to BC or strap to leg?
Lanyard/dummy cord hole?
Mirror, satin, or coated finish?

I'm sure I'm missing something so feel free to add more.
small, safe, effective at job and at least two types of cutting tool. a knife and line cutter or shears

large knives are problematic for multiple reasons. Bulky, fall out in dives, heavy, many countries will stop you at the front door and not let you in lol. I got mine confiscated at a 5 star hotel in philippines as they scan all baggage. Kept it until I left the hotel. I didnt want to check in and out with it to do dives. Too much drama.

Wait, edit to ask why someone would dredge up a 7 year old post.

Back
Top Bottom