What do you expect from other Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mostly, I just look for competency and comfort. Nobody, including me, knows everything. So if you know, say so. If you don't ask.

I expect my buddy to not be an unnecessary burden before, during and after the dive. New divers are allowed leeway and of course these would be repetitive behaviors, but anyone claiming to be an experienced diver should act like one.

These are examples; there are many other ways to be an unnecessary burden these are the ones I’ve encountered the most.

1. Distractingly slow to kit up. Lots of chitchat but not much getting done to prepare for DIVING!

2. Not enough weight. I don’t want to watch my buddy fighting to submerge and I don’t want to be in the position of controlling my buoyancy and my buddy’s during the SS if he does indeed get submerged!

3. Inadequate equipment…leaking hose(s), fittings, regs……. Or OH S**T I forgot my X leading to an aborted dive. (I abort dives but I try to be sure it’s something beyond my control that causes the abort. I don’t get angry but it is frustrating when it could have been avoided especially when I could have brought a spare hose or even reg if my buddy had checked his gear, and then called me.)

4. If I signal I’m going to stop and take a pic don’t get in the way, and be there when I’m done and turn around to give the OK signal.
If my buddy deviates from the plan and winds up diving alone all protests will fall on deaf ears. I can get very focused on my activities if my buddy swims 15 -20 feet away in 5 foot vis water while I’m focusing on taking a pic that I signaled I was going to take and gets lost that’s their fault.

5. Watch your gear I don’t really want to go back in the water after every dive to help find lost gear, although I will.

When the visibility is generally 3 feet or less it’s very hard to get close enough see the bottom without stirring it up, but we try. Just don’t expect to never see the bottom stirred up.

Am I expecting too much?

I usually bring my own dive buddy so either its the Girlfriend ( No i didnt make her take it, Yes i have to hold her hand sometimes) Or one of the 5-6 DM/Instructors I fratinize with. Usually when I'm stuck with newer divers or a dive buddy i havnt dove with before and the dive is straight forward I let them take the lead on the first dive. As a professional I feel my skills at evaluating divers before we go in are decent and 9/10 im a good judge. I guess as long as there honest with me about their skills and experence lets go get wet!!!

Wow you guys have a ton of expectations for others. I agree with Pete's simple philosophy, all the rest not so much.

I generally have a great time diving so I guess the majority of divers don't live by this quagmire of rules everyone is expected to follow. If you hunt do so safely and legally. Have fun, be safe, and do no harm.

as i only have 10ish dives under my belt i don't claim to be a great diver, however i would agree with the op in the fact that i expect everyone to at least look like they passed an OW class. things like staying off the bottom, clipping gear so it doesnt drag, and slow assents. if your new and still figuring out boyancy, or not a super strong swimmer that fine, but at least do what the OW class teaches you.

Not much...some evidence of self-reliance is good. Show my your SPG if I show you mine. Be safe, do no harm. And if you run out of air, the surface is that way!

Back
Top Bottom