What do you drain your filters into

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That 20 dollar auto drain muffler in a 5 gallon bucket at the end of your hose will solve many of your problems.

That 20 dollar auto drain muffler in a 5 gallon bucket at the end of your hose will solve many of your problems.

Thanks, do you have a link?

So what do you guys set up under your drains to collect the condensate into? Preferably setups that prevent it from blasting into the sourounding air/area.

The compressor (an old, Army surplus, water-cooled Worthington behemoth, IIRC) at my univ had pipes from its manually operated separators leading to a deep tray that looked like something you might use when changing your car oil. The tray was layered with folded old gym towels and shop towels. (So, the ends of the pipes had towels beneath and towels sitting atop.)

When the compressor was running, every fifteen minutes or so you had to briefly twist open each of the three (or four) cocks to drain the separators, and then twist them closed.

The towels both muffled the exhaust and controlled the spray.

You know, I never learned what eventually happened with those towels. They always looked a bit nasty.

rx7diver

They got bilges on subs?
We had supposedly dry bilges on FFGs and our start air compressors drained to oily water tanks.
+1 on 5 gallon bucket,
-1 on rags as I fought a few shipboard fires caused by oily rags. Super uncool, would not recommend.

I have a muffler in a bucket. It gets spread on the gravel driveway to control dust.

-1 on rags as I fought a few shipboard fires caused by oily rags. Super uncool, would not recommend.

Very good point. I never thought about this. I know that the compressor had been run this way "forever", had been running this way for years before I took my course in 1986. Later, I was one of only a handful of TA's who was permitted to run the fill station. Now I'll have nightmares imagining begin trapped in the natatorium's scuba compressor room, engulfed by a conflagration caused by oily moisture separator rags! Thanks a lot!!

I suspect the gym towels and shop towels were periodically changed out or cleaned, but I never paid attention to this during the several semesters I was a scuba TA.

And I agree, not a good idea. "Super uncool," indeed!

ETA: It's interesting that the institutional risk management officers evidently never said anything about this.

Thanks,

rx7diver

From each drain on my Junior II I have a tube that goes into a two litre juice container. The tube go into a hole I drilled high on the neck. Then I drilled some small holes in the lid to let the pressure out. Works well.

full

full

Pshhhhhhhht!

They got bilges on subs?
We had supposedly dry bilges on FFGs and our start air compressors drained to oily water tanks.
+1 on 5 gallon bucket,
Steam plants leak lots of water.

====> wet bilges.

Gas turbines and diesels not so much.

Decided on a coffee can with vent holes in the lid. Cover the holes with some form of material likely greenie to trap the oil.

Back
Top Bottom