what do you do if?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HarleyDiver:
I believe a relatively new diver should not pair up with another new diver. You should be VERY comforatable with your ability to save youself before you assume responsibility for another diver. Therefore it is incumbent on those with experience to "giveback" and pairup with rookies sometimes to help them out. Remember we all started as newbies & somebody saved our butts once or twice before we figured it all out. You don't have to be an instructor, just be a mentor.

A new diver should be qualified, able and confident in diving independantly with a budy on appropriate dives. Nothing wrong with spending some time with a mentor but there isn't anything wrong with cutting the apron strings either. Sometimes you need to get a little experience under your belt before you get to the point where you can get with a mentor.

When I get a chance I enjoy going out and diving with newer divers. However, I wouldn't say it's incumbant on me or that I need to give anything back. Often the type of dives that a more experienced diver does just aren't the same as what the newer diver needs to be doing so the two sometimes aren't mixed on the same trip.

Very well done, try and grab him, otherwise let him go and do a safe ascend. No need for two people to be in need of medical attention, plus this would half the resources on-board. I usually stay very close to a new diver.........

razor:
Now my question..what should I have done? After reviewing this with my normal dive buddy (wife) who rips me a new butt
I realize that it could have been much worse but it was a reaction on my part to help this guy. I am still not sure what I would do if it happened again. The only thing I am damn sure about is I will not dive with anybody that I just met and probaly won't dive with anybody other than my wife.

Thoughts?

Experience is a great teacher, except - it's always the hard way, learning only after we needed to know! Glad you weren't hurt.

One of my primary dive rules is that I will be as good of a buddy as I can be - short of hurting myself to save someone else from a mistake. That said, I've done the very same thing you did, even after I said I wouldn't. It's his responsibility to learn control, and if he's already out of range of your help, you are not obligated to risk yourselt to save him, but - we often do, won't we.

When I dive with a group, I carry a couple of 1# weights cable tied to bolt clips on my BC for the first dive, as there's always someone who finds him/herself underweighted on the safety stop with a tank down to 500#. After the first dive, if someone still is underweighted for a safety stop, I just feel badly for them.

It was experiences like yours that got me to start carrying a Pony bottle. I'll try to be a good buddy, but never count on one.

As far as your buddy was concerned it's obvious that something happened that he couldn't deal with - be it a stuck inflator - or simply too much air in the BCD which expanded even more as he went shallower compounding the problem. He was probably very scared and panicked at the time. By the time he got to the surface he was probably in some degree of shock - possibly why he didn't say thanks.
I think you did the right thing. You don't mention how deep you were and how far up you had to chase him. If you have to chase someone from 30m to 15m it's very different than chasing them from 20m to 5m. Actually I think that this story illustrates the value of buddies - without you he could have been in serious trouble. You were there though - and the end result was that everyone got up safely. One of the first things I look for if I have to dive with someone new is the location of their dump valve - because you never know.

II think you did the right thing and I think you handled the problem really :wink: well, especially since you have only 35 dives yourself.

The problem with going on dive holidays is that eventually you end up diving with someone you know absolutely nothing about. That’s when it can get dangerous. The last dive holiday I had I was teamed up with a guy who made a point of telling everyone on the boat that he was a certified Divemaster. I thought that was kinda weird so when we were gearing up I asked him how many dives he had under his belt and he said “Don’t worry about it I’m an experienced Divemaster, I’ve led loads of dives”. I repeated the question and it turned out that the guy only had 70 dives worth of experience. That’s neither here nor there but it tells me more about the guy than knowing that he is a Divemaster.

I’d rather know that you’ve done 1,000 dives and hold an Openwater cert than a Divemaster with 70. The point that I am trying to make is that if you find yourself in a position where you are diving with someone that you don’t know ask as many questions as you need so that when you hit the water you have a fair idea of what you may or may not be letting yourself in for.

Coogeeman

voop:
Me, had I been forced into a rapid ascent, I'd have done slightly different based on my training and the tables I normally use: I'd have descented to half of my maximum depth for the dive, and stayed there for at least 5 min. During that time I would calculate if I had incured any mandatory deco (org. dive time plus the 5 min spent at half of the depth), and then (after the 5 min) ascent SLOWLY following the deco stops calculated. If the dive was still a "no mandatory deco" dive, I would still do AT LEAST a stop of 2 min at 3m. Because I am a concervative dude, I would probably even stop for 2 min at 9 and 6m, and make the 3m stop longer, even if the deco plan didn't call for it. [Ok, who can guess which tables these are....]

That's probably excessive overkill to some, but it's my ass which goes into the chamber if something goes wrong while I dive....so I'll be as concervative as I please :)

Why would you go back down deeper? What is the point of taking on MORE nitrogen that you will have to get rid of? If my thinking is right, and you didn't have a deco obligation before the ascent, you would not have one after the ascent. The exception being that if by diving back down to half your max depth you pick one up. So far I see your getting MORE nitrogen into your system and possibly picking up a deco obligation that you didn't have before. Where is the benefit? If this was an NDL dive to start and you happened to go over a bit then (according to NAUI tables) all deco is done at 15 feet anyway and going deeper makes the deco obligation worse...
You are of course free to do as you want, but would you mind explaning it a bit for me? It seems to go against the training I have had, which is admittedly minimal. I do know that it was specifically said not to go back down if a stop is missed though.

Joe

Razor, I think you did the right thing. I'm going to make some assumptions because the details were not given.

First, I'm guessing you were both diving AL80 tanks in salt water.
Second, your dive was probably reasonably shallow, 40 to 60 ft in depth?

Based on the first assumption, I'd tend to believe your buddy had such a rapid ascent because his tank got below 1000psi and floated him up like a cork, unexpectedly. Not making excuses for him, he should be able to control it. But, I've had it happen to me plenty and let me tell you, when that tank wants to surface, you better be real quick on the BC dump.

The reason for the assumption of the depth is simply, at a shallow depth, while there is risk involved in a rapid ascent, you need to consider just how fast you were actually going. What I mean is, the recommended ascent rate is 30ft per minute. On a 40ft dive, that's basically 1min 20sec. So, my question is, were you really going up faster than that? I know it may seem like it, but, were you really? If so, just how much faster? Did you cover the 30ft in a matter of seconds?

Just some thoughts to consider.

voop:
I'd have descented to half of my maximum depth for the dive, and stayed there for at least 5 min. During that time I would calculate if I had incured any mandatory deco (org. dive time plus the 5 min spent at half of the depth), and then (after the 5 min) ascent SLOWLY following the deco stops calculated. If the dive was still a "no mandatory deco" dive, I would still do AT LEAST a stop of 2 min at 3m. Because I am a concervative dude, I would probably even stop for 2 min at 9 and 6m, and make the 3m stop longer, even if the deco plan didn't call for it. [Ok, who can guess which tables these are....]
It is the procedure I have learned for too fast ascents. Provided that the surface interval is not bigger than 3 mn (except that within the NDL limit after recalculation, I would do the full safety stop -> 3mn, not 2.

Sideband:
Why would you go back down deeper? What is the point of taking on MORE nitrogen that you will have to get rid of? If my thinking is right, and you didn't have a deco obligation before the ascent, you would not have one after the ascent. The exception being that if by diving back down to half your max depth you pick one up. So far I see your getting MORE nitrogen into your system and possibly picking up a deco obligation that you didn't have before. Where is the benefit? If this was an NDL dive to start and you happened to go over a bit then (according to NAUI tables) all deco is done at 15 feet anyway and going deeper makes the deco obligation worse...
You are of course free to do as you want, but would you mind explaning it a bit for me? It seems to go against the training I have had, which is admittedly minimal. I do know that it was specifically said not to go back down if a stop is missed though.

Joe

Well, a good question. I will see if I can answer. The procedure comes from a set of tables which, inheritly, are "deco-tables", although they indicate NDLs for a given depth too. That's what I am trained with, and what I prefer to dive with myself, so I follow the procedures reccomended for these tables.

Notice, that I do not reccomend to anyone to follow these procedures. Always dive according to training.....not according to what some imp writes on an internet www-site!

However this is how it's been taught to me: the idea is, that if you enter a "rapid ascent", which could mean either that you somehow miss your stops or you just ascent faster than the reccomended max speed (15m/min up to the first stop, 6m/min between stops and between last stop and surface), then you've violated the "model" behind the tables -- and to get back in to the model, you need "emergency recompression" within a short amount of time (the tables say 3 min...) Since we do not commonly dive with a recompression chamber on the RIB, going back down is the best option for increasing the preasure exerted on you -- of course, in the case where you do not detect an onset of DCS.

E.g.. if your weightbelt break off and you suddenly find yourself at the surface like a rocket, but you otherwise feel fine, you grab a weightbelt, and go down for emergency recompression within 3 min (DCI symptoms may take a while to show, remember?). If you end up at the surface with a DCS hit, you don't -- the prescribed treatment is then the usual (O2, water, aspirin and a call to DAN to navigate to the nearest ready chamber....)

Going back down to half of max depth is (in the model behind the tables in question supposed to) decrease the size of any (sub-problematic) bubbles to allow them to be elliminated, rather than to give them time to get together and form bigger, problematic bubbles, as well as to force some N2 back into solution. I am sure that DrDeco could give a much better explanation of what benefits this might have, but the above is how it's been explained to me.

Then, once the 5 min stop at half depth is done, we calculate the entire dive, including the 5 min stop, and do deco accordingly, since we -- as you observe -- on-gas during the 5 min at half depth. However the 5 min at half-depth do not represent off-gassing, rather it represents a thought similar to "we've gotta get the bubbles under control"....

You write one thing, which disturbs me a little:

"If my thinking is right, and you didn't have a deco obligation before the ascent, you would not have one after the ascent."

That's, IMO, wrong. You may not have a deco obligation, but you do have an off-gas obligation. That is, in part, done through your slow ascent, which allows you to expell N2. Later, it's done on the surface in your surface interval (with most tables/models, at least). If you do not ascent slowly, then you may very well end up with a "deco obligation" -- in the sense that you may find problematic bubbles in your system due to rapid preasure decreases.

So in the situation which we discuss here: a rapid ascent to assist another diver on a "recreational" NDL dive. If I did this, then after the rapid ascent, there may be "almost-problematic" bubbles in my system, even if I feel OK immediately when surfacing (remember, DCI doesn't necessarilly show instantaneously, but it may take a few minutes to hours before symptoms become visible). Then to prevent those bubbles from "ganging up on me to form one gigant super-bubble", I'll pop down to half of my max depth, and hang out there for a while...ongassing some, yes, but reducing bubbles in size and having my lungs and the rest of my system do their job in filtering N2 bubbles. Then, I can ascent and do deco.

So the short answer to the question of "what's the idea of going back down" is the following: On-gassing during a stop isn't a problem, as long as I can calculate what to do to off-gas appropriately. Having big bubbles in my system is a problem, so I'll do whatever I can to get the bubbles minimized -- then deal with off-gassing.

But, as I stated, if I arrive on the surface with even the slightest sign of DCS, then I'd not go back down. It's O2, water, aspirin, DAN without hessitation.

Again, that's how it's been explained to me. I am no expert in decompression, bubble-mechanics, deco-diving etc., so don't take what I say as advice on how to do deco dives or emergency recompression.

Bretagne:
It is the procedure I have learned for too fast ascents. Provided that the surface interval is not bigger than 3 mn (except that within the NDL limit after recalculation, I would do the full safety stop -> 3mn, not 2.

MN90? ANMP or FFESSM? Yup, we probably have the same training...... :)

Back
Top Bottom