What do you consider new?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Will1760

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
How do you decide if a diver is a new diver?
Amount of time certified? Number of dives? Highest certification?

This the reverse of a thread of a few years back asking what constitutes an experienced one. Lots of varying opinions needless to say.... A simple answer probably revolves around knowing the basics of equipment operation (ei. whether you do everything smoothly on instinct or not) and buoyancy control.

Last edited:
When you become self sufficient and can plan and execute your own dives, you are no longer a new diver. This means you have accumulated enough training and experience to know your limitations, make good risk assessments, and know when to call a dive before something serious can occur. Some people learn quick and some never learn. Don't get hung up with fancy titles, pay the fee get the "B" is more common than you can imagine. More dives in different environments is a good teacher. Crawl, walk, run. Focus on learning, new skills, equipment, and about yourself. You will know when you are no longer a new or novice diver.

A new diver is anyone still trying to master the basics.

When you become self sufficient and can plan and execute your own dives, you are no longer a new diver. This means you have accumulated enough training and experience to know your limitations, make good risk assessments, and know when to call a dive before something serious can occur. Some people learn quick and some never learn. Don't get hung up with fancy titles, pay the fee get the "B" is more common than you can imagine. More dives in different environments is a good teacher. Crawl, walk, run. Focus on learning, new skills, equipment, and about yourself. You will know when you are no longer a new or novice diver.

Well said, this is it.

I would agree. I think a lot is down to attitude as well. You can be a new diver who is aware and self critical who will probably pick up experience quicker than someone who comes out of OW thinking "I am a diver so I know everything".

Definitely about the different dives in different conditions - I have only dived in poor(ish) vis and cold water (8-15C) with a 7mm wetsuit. Will be interesting as to the difference in clear, warm water with 2-3mm.

"New" is relative IMO. Compared to someone who got certified yesterday, I'm not new at all. Compared to someone with 4,000+ dives, I'm very new!

You could also have someone that got certified 5 years ago and has only done 30 dives and I would consider them new. But, you do 30 dives in 3-4 months and I would think you would be a far better diver and yet in time, newer than the guy certified 5 years ago. All relative.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom