What do you bring when a monster is breathing down your neck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spt29970

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
On the 4th of July, just before midnight we got the call to evacuate our home in Goleta due the "Gap Fire". I brought my laptop, desktop, spare hard drive, old style print photo albums, dive and camera gear (sans tanks and weights). It is pretty close to what I bring when traveling! Fortunately the fire changed directions and I was able to return home yesterday. It really makes you think about what you really can't live without (not much it turns out). The fire burned through the main power distribution for the city and for several hours everything was black with this hellfire glow on the horizon. This was one of the more surreal experiences of my life.

Here are some images from behind my complex in Goleta. Click on the images for more details.

You can see why the power went out in this last image. The line of lights is a row of cars fleeing the flames.

Wow. Scary pics.

Yeah, I guess, on my list of what to grab, family photos (incl. video & DVD) would be first. Laptops, a file folder we keep with birth certs, passports, insurance info... then maybe dive gear, then the dog (okay, maybe the dog before the dive gear). Chargers for cell phone and computers.

Lastly, if there was lots of time, my mother in law who lives in the basement (I'm kidding of course. I'd never let my mother in law live n the basement).

Really, I guess there's not too much stuff I have a major attachment to.

Bringing almost anything requires a certain amount of time.

I suspect that what you bring with you is in direct correlation to how much time you have to gather and pack it.

Gives new importance to the idea of have a "bug-out bag" pre-packed with important stuff that you'd need to grab if evacuating fast.

Glad you made it out, and glad you were able to get back in without losing your stuff.

Doc

I'm thinking wife, dog, wallet, cell phone and laptop. The rest is for the insurance company to worry about.

The laptop sounds silly, but it makes reconnecting with the rest of the world so much easier.

Terry

Wow. Scary pics.

Yeah, I guess, on my list of what to grab, family photos (incl. video & DVD) would be first. Laptops, a file folder we keep with birth certs, passports, insurance info... then maybe dive gear, then the dog (okay, maybe the dog before the dive gear). Chargers for cell phone and computers.

Lastly, if there was lots of time, my mother in law who lives in the basement (I'm kidding of course. I'd never let my mother in law live n the basement).

Really, I guess there's not too much stuff I have a major attachment to.

I'm thinking wife, dog, wallet, cell phone and laptop. The rest is for the insurance company to worry about.

The laptop sounds silly, but it makes reconnecting with the rest of the world so much easier.

Terry
thinking of all the years i spent at big sur at Deetjens and Nepenthe /on the ocean and in the forest. I am thinking that i would have my memories of the smell of the sage the redwoods and the ocean.
Since i wasnt diving yet, all i brought with me was a laptop and some money....now my load would be a lot harder to choose from. I know it would be my cat, my computer, and if i had time to think my future orders to fill from where ever.
I am glad you and yours are ok, and pray this fire and all the fires burn out without any lives taken.
homes can be rebuilt . we can always get new gear....be grateful everyday that is what this fire is teaching me, AGAIN.

So glad you made it out safely and were able to return quickly....

spt29970, glad to hear you're ok...hopefully the fires will be put out soon...

on a side note, no one thought to grab his c-cards! how will you dive w/o them? :wink:

I never thought I would be grateful for "June Gloom", but I am now. A marine layer has set in and the increase in humidity has really helped slow the fire. The southern end of the fire, near the city, is now under control, so things are getting back to normal.

Back
Top Bottom