What do these swell numbers say (or not)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Carmel drove along from copper roof around to butterfly and then to carmel river state beach. Of the 3 only carmel river was even close to diveable due it's being tucked in a bit on the south side.

I thought it was forecasted as a W swell when I was deciding on the trip a couple days prior to going, 6-8 certainly is more in line with what I saw in Carmel that morning. Breakwater was much smaller so was relatively sheltered but you'd think the peninsula jutting north would block a W swell altogether but it was far from calm there.

thanks for the tips

Ken

This far out it doesn't mean anything. That forecast will change three or four times before Friday night and even then, it is by no means a guarantee.

I prefer to get my information right off the satellite loop here. That with the swell forecasts (non-experimental) will give you a pretty good idea of what's on the way.

Offshore winds are the best (late spring, early summer), winds out of the south come in second place. A low pressure system a few hundred miles offshore and a high pressure system east of Monterey are both generally good for conditions but not always.

Right now there is a storm crossing the dateline and if it stays on latitude and speed it should be just off the north coast Friday night/Saturday morning which might help Monterey conditions on Saturday a bit if it stays far enough north.

In Carmel drove along from copper roof around to butterfly and then to carmel river state beach. Of the 3 only carmel river was even close to diveable due it's being tucked in a bit on the south side.

I thought it was forecasted as a W swell when I was deciding on the trip a couple days prior to going, 6-8 certainly is more in line with what I saw in Carmel that morning. Breakwater was much smaller so was relatively sheltered but you'd think the peninsula jutting north would block a W swell altogether but it was far from calm there.

thanks for the tips

Ken

Earlier in the week, there were some W swell forecasts, some NW, all moderately big (6-8, 7-9).

It's OK to look at the forecasts a few days ahead to decide wheither you might want
to dive, but I never leave for Monterey without checking the 3 am forecast.

Those Carmel beches look right into both W and NW swells.

How do the North Carmel sites like Lingcod Reef and Fire rock handle a direct West swell? How about Stillwater? Is that more protected from "everything"? I'm heading to Monterey this weekend and am hoping for divable Carmel sites.

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom