What do the ToS mean to you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not believe that any trolls get a free pass here, although I do think that the mods may consider the past good posts to offset an occasional bad post and give some posters a little more leeway to express themselves on occasion. These people can sometimes be very frustrating since their good advice prevents me from putting them on ignore and their viewpoint differs so far from mine on some things that I may tend to take the posts on those subjects personally. But if they stay within guidelines, they are allowed to express their opinion just as I can express mine.
Mods are just people, and have to decide as people what they think is going on. People are fallible, and there is no 100% in being right all the time. Mods have even been known to disagree with each other! :D

But that's actually not what I mean. I simply meant that no one has the ultimate call except the boss. That's normal. That's why EVERY endeavour is a reflection on the boss. If there are trolls here for more than a few posts..... who's responsibility is it?

The Mods?

Sometimes it's an easy enough call that everyone agrees with. Sometimes it's not. When it isn't then ultimately the owner calls it. That's the only way it can be really....

In an ideal world, you don't need a TOS. You don't need to tell people how they should behave to each other, as mutual respect and consideration would be a given...based on the simple concept that you'll get back what you give. But the world isn't that ideal, and it's very obvious that some think they can behave in any way at all, and especially with the Internet obscurity, get away with it.

How that behaviour is dealt with will always be the call of the owner. In the case of SB, it's obviously still a problem, or we wouldn't have people still starting threads like this.

What some don't seem to get is that one doesn't have to agree with everyone to at least show respect.

As the OP phrased it it:

"I ask this because in the short time I've been here, I've seen people being harassed for expressing an opinion when it differs from that of the original poster, and I've read through replies on many threads when someone has disagreed with another poster and then resorted to name calling or a personal attack on that person's intelligence or training."

That's a pretty damning indictment really....coming from someone who hasn't actually been a member for so long. But it's not really damning because it's the OPs view now...... it's damning because the same thing has been said MANY times before by MANY people.

And therefore I think civility and common courtesy should be high on the list; sometimes they seem to go out the window once someone logs on.
I agree with you completely. I'm just saying that not everyone agrees on what the standards of civility and common courtesy should be. If they actually did, there wouldn't be a problem.

Whatever happened to personal responsibility? Did that disappear once we got access to the internet? I think it's rather an indictment that we need moderators, that we can't discuss civilly and not regress into argument when our opinions differ. We throw our hands up and say, "That's life". But I think we can all try harder at times...

Whatever happened to personal responsibility? Did that disappear once we got access to the internet? I think it's rather an indictment that we need moderators, that we can't discuss civilly and not regress into argument when our opinions differ. We throw our hands up and say, "That's life". But I think we can all try harder at times...
Again...I agree completely.

But as I just posted...... that would be in a "perfect world" - and we unfortunately don't seem to live in one.

Again...I agree completely.

But as I just posted...... that would be in a "perfect world" - and we unfortunately don't seem to live in one.

Quite right, we obviously don't. I guess I like to think people are better than they are....until they prove otherwise to me.

ultimately, it is Pete's call, but .. as he posted, when it's not an easy call they (the MODs) hash it over in the back room .. and I know that Pete listens to and trusts his MODs

ultimately, it is Pete's call, but .. as he posted, when it's not an easy call they (the MODs) hash it over in the back room .. and I know that Pete listens to and trusts his MODs

I think they do a good job. As I said above though, it's a pity we need them in a way.

Trolls who have something "endearing" or whatever it is..... maybe usefulness..... seem to get a free pass.
If they get a "free pass", then it is from the users. We hearken to our users who can either use the
report.gif
Bad Post feature or not, as they see fit. A mod who wishes to enforce a narrow interpretation of the ToS will soon find themselves at odds with a good number of people. It's best for our users to define what is inappropriate in the gray areas by use of the
report.gif
Bad Post button.

As for being a business, we have a kind of split personality. The Moderators and Advisors comprise the Volunteer side, and HowardE, El Orans and some sales people comprise the commercial side. The business side can't do SQUAT if the Volunteer side isn't working, so I spend most of my time making sure that is going well.

If they get a "free pass", then it is from the users. We hearken to our users who can either use the
report.gif
Bad Post feature or not, as they see fit.
I'm sorry....that's simply not true. You don't even answer all reported posts, or other messages.

That's up to you, if you don't think it's worth to do. but at least be honest, and don't blame the users.

I'm sorry....that's simply not true. You don't even answer all reported posts, or other messages.

I know what you're saying, but just to clarify... We do address ALL reported posts. We may not answer it in the way the reporter wants, or PM the reporter, but, in the Mod area, we do discuss and address and come to resolve on ALL reported posts.

No reported post goes ignored. Every reported post has the opportunity of being address and discussed by the entire Mod staff. Unless something is obvious, the majority of decisions made are consensus.

Back
Top Bottom