What do I need to double up my Al80's??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JT2

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody could help me out with some info on doubling up Al80's. The reason I want to do this is because I primarily dive in a wetsuit, (although I'm fixing to take a drysuit class with TwoBitTxn) and I understand that you should not dive double steels with a wetsuit. Even after I get drysuit certified I will still be doing a lot of diving in a wetsuit thanks to the famous Texas heat, so Even though I am sure I will have a couple of LP104's once my training and finances will allow it, I will still be diving in a wetsuit quite a bit, so I would like some info on doubling a couple of Al80's, such as which manifolds and bands to consider, and so on and soforth. My curent Al80's are Catalina's.
Oh yeah, I guess I better tell you why I want to double them up as I am sure that is the first question I would be asked. My buddy and I participate in a lot of clean up dives in local lakes, and also volunteer at the local scuba park to help work on the water intakes and help secure and check bouys, pier supports and that kind of thing, and almost all of these type of things that we do are shallow, warm water activities with 40ffw or less making up about 90% of the dives, and it would be nice to be able to stay down longer and not have to come up hang out and switch tanks and go back down again. The other question I have is, do I need to get some additional training to use the doubles? I have not been able to find any classes on learning how to use doubles, other than some of the tech agencies. Surely a 40ffw dive or less for 80 to 100 minutes is not considered a tech dive is it? I am currently signed up for my first nitrox class as I also plan on using nitrox for these dives. Thanks in advance for any info.

You'll need another reg, which if you're doing an H or Y valve is not a problem.

Next you really should have a manifold, though you could dive independents, but it’s not nearly as clean as manifolded doubles, and independents add some confusion to OOA situations. A SeaElite isolation manifold is available for about $170 from Diver’s Supply (http://www.divers-supply.com/). If your regs are yoke either consider changing them to 300 BAR DIN or get the 200 BAR manifold that can support both yoke and DIN regs (the jack of all trades, master of none solution).

Third you need bands. Best bands on the planet are the Highlands (http://www.highland-millwork.com/) these are available from places such as Extreme Exposure (http://www.extreme-exposure.com/) or Fifth Dimension (http://www.fifthd.com/). A reasonable alternative for AL80s is bands from North East SCUBA Supply (http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/).

Fourth, and most importantly you'll need a way to mount the cylinders to you. If you have the typical recreational BC you'll have to replace it with something that'll accept doubles. You have two choices. You can buy a fashion-tech BC like a Zeagle or Dacor’s Rig and for additional $ get the optional doubles mounting hardware and a short time later eBay the whole blasted thing because it doesn’t work. Or you can skip right to the endgame saving a ton of money and hassles and get a backplate and wings. Rather than posting stuff on BPs here, go to the BC section and search for BPs and wings and you’ll get lots of stories and options on where to get setup.

So in summary:

Another reg
Isolation manifold
Cylinder bands
Backplate and wings

Roak

I own a Ranger now, but I ordered a complete Halcyon BP/wing and harness combo from Divers Discount and that is what I will be using for all of my diving from now on. I already have two new Zeagle Flathead VI regs and have been using them on an H valve, which by the way the owner/instructor at my LDS makes fun of all of the time and says I need to get rid of all that stuff back there and just buy an Octo+ integrated air source and carry a spare air, I know, it's scary ain't it??? Also I definitley want to go ahead and go with an isolation manifold so I can get used to using it and practice doing drills and stuff with while getting ready for my tech training that I am hoping to be able to start early next year. Thanks again!

What size wing did you order for the double Al80's?

Originally posted by JT2
Surely a 40ffw dive or less for 80 to 100 minutes is not considered a tech dive is it? I am currently signed up for my first nitrox class as I also plan on using nitrox for these dives. Thanks in advance for any info.
I want to toss in a word of caution here....

While I understand what you're getting at, you might be taking a bit bigger step than you're ready for. (I know from personal experience...I almost took the same step)

In my personal recently taken the TDI AdvEAN/Deco class opinion....anytime you add gear that is beyond what you need for recreational diving (aka single regulator and single tank), then it is a technical dive.

Reasons: 1) By doubling tanks, you not only double your air supply but you double, and possibly triple the complications. You have the isolation manifold, two regulators, lots of new hoses, and many other things to now manage.

2) You also require extra equipment to manage this

3) You also require additional training to learn how to manage all of this. It's very easy to get over-task loaded when diving with this setup. And if you don't do things correctly, you can get in trouble and hurt very quickly.

I am going to be participating in your Dry suit course with Two Bit...And the instructor teaching the drysuit class is also an excellent choice for teaching you all the info and skills you need to know to dive doubles. So that would be a great opportunity to ask the preliminary questions.

Additionally, I do know of a few other divers that are ready to go through the TDI Advanced Nitrox and Decompression procedures class. So if you want to add your name to the list, I'll get the instructor informed and have him setup some dates.

PS. You CAN dive a drysuit in any temp. Even in Texas August. What you do is get in the suit, and as soon as you've zipped up and purged the air, is go jump in the water. This way when you get out, you've got evaporative cooling working for you as you strap on your other gear.

You could always get the doubles, don't dive them, and then show up for the next available DIRF class with them...they will straighten you out I bet...

Besides, if you want to move into tech you will probably end up taking the DIRF class anyway..

I, like TM, wanted to double up some 80s and thought "what's the big deal". I got talked out of it by more experienced people too...

You'll probably wind up kicking yourself in the butt if you double up your tanks. In shallow water, it's much easier just coming up & swapping out singles than it is lugging doubles around. There's no reason a tank swap can't be done in way under a minute (30 seconds even) if you have a little surface support.
Buy yourself a few extra tanks instead of spending it on manifolds & bands.

Depending on the depth, you should be able to get 80-90 mins out of an AL80 and certainly a lot more if you went with an AL100.

Originally posted by Bob3
You'll probably wind up kicking yourself in the butt if you double up your tanks. In shallow water, it's much easier just coming up & swapping out singles than it is lugging doubles around. There's no reason a tank swap can't be done in way under a minute (30 seconds even) if you have a little surface support.
Buy yourself a few extra tanks instead of spending it on manifolds & bands.

Unless you need doubles, don't do it. I'm in the exact opposite situation, all I have is doubles and on those occasions when I'm not doing deep deco diving I sure do wish I had a recreational rig. Doubles are dog heavy, even aluminum doubles. Unless you're a beefy strong guy you're likely to end up breaking them down so you can have your singles back. One or two times from car to boat and back again and you'll believe.

Tom

Thanks everybody for the info, and I have also received a PM from Ronbo and will probably be taking my tech classes with him pretty soon. Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom