What Do i need? Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the sms100 is will work for backmount, but is kinda wiggly for single tank backmount. dont know about doubles...

Will it also allow for backmount? I think that was one of the OP's requirements.

Nope you can't do back mount and I'm not getting the impression that its his requirement, also I don't know many people introduced to "freedom" of sidemount and going back to back mount. Either you wanna dive shallow reef or deep wrecks, caves, its just the matter of taking different number of tanks, gas etc. but still same good sidemount configuration. Like with re-breather once you switch most likely your OC will rust away :)
It's of course opinion based on my experience and in some cases may vary.

Cheers !

Hi,

Thanks for your post. But, what I´m looking for is a multipurpose system. The xDeep is a rig only for sidemount and I am researching into a versatile rig wich allows me side and backmount. That´s why my Hollis option is the SMS 100, not the SMS 50.

Best Regards.

---------- Post Merged at 08:42 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:31 AM ----------

the sms100 is will work for backmount, but is kinda wiggly for single tank backmount. dont know about doubles...
Hi offroadr1,
What do you mean with "kinda wiggly"? Does it move on your back with single tank backmount? Isn´t it as comfortable as a classic BCD? Is it very bulky or heavy?

Best Regards.

without the use of some sort of plate, the cylinder will wobble from side to side.

I use two 5 ft hoses in side mount instead of a 7 ft and 32 inch hose. There are two reasons the main one is I can donate the reg in my mouth at any point, don't have to think about what reg I am breathing off, and two 5' hoses rout better on the tank, It is just one loop down the tank rather than the up and back like with a 7' hose.

I have a Sms100 and have used it for single BM and had no problem, a little looser than BP/W but a whole lot better than any back mount rec BC, if it is really a problem then use a single tank adapter with the doubles plate adapter. That should give you more stability. I have the Doubles Plate Adapter but have not used it but have had friends that say it works great.

I prefer the SMS 50 but, the 100 has the lift capacity for heavier backmount doubles and I've seen it done before and the user took it in a cave came out and during his surface interval switched it to sidemount again and did another dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom