what do i do (Swivel, hose, reg and warm/cold)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blueboy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am an AOW w/cpr guy with about 26 dives. I have only dived warm water and plan to dive some cold. Plan to do about 10-20 dives a year. 20% cold, 40% temperate and 40% warm. From what I have experienced I seem to be thinking about doing wreck and cave in the far future. I always have a problem with regs pulling, (toward the hose) and end up switching to the oct, in rental situations. From what I’ve read from you amazing people I have come up with an idea (about buying equipment and configuration). Here is my idea, please give me advice, telling me if what I’m doing is safe, correct and/or an alternative idea that is better.

For warm and temperate water:
Aqualung Legend LX
Add swivel
Add 40-inch hose and route underarm (since I'm used to using oct that way already and like them out of the way)
Atomic SS1

Cold water:
Aqualung Legend LX
Add swivel
Add 40-inch hose and route underarm
??????? Bungee
????Another reg of another brand for the mix like atomic B2???

Thank you in advance for any replies and what I have gotten from the board already

blueboy:
I am an AOW w/cpr guy with about 26 dives. I have only dived warm water and plan to dive some cold. Plan to do about 10-20 dives a year. 20% cold, 40% temperate and 40% warm. From what I have experienced I seem to be thinking about doing wreck and cave in the far future. I always have a problem with regs pulling, (toward the hose) and end up switching to the oct, in rental situations. From what I’ve read from you amazing people I have come up with an idea (about buying equipment and configuration). Here is my idea, please give me advice, telling me if what I’m doing is safe, correct and/or an alternative idea that is better.

For warm and temperate water:
Aqualung Legend LX
Add swivel
Add 40-inch hose and route underarm (since I'm used to using oct that way already and like them out of the way)
Atomic SS1

Cold water:
Aqualung Legend LX
Add swivel
Add 40-inch hose and route underarm
??????? Bungee
????Another reg of another brand for the mix like atomic B2???

Thank you in advance for any replies and what I have gotten from the board already

I added the swivel and routed the primary underarm. I hate it. Hubby has the same config and he loves it. I did notice less jaw fatiigue that was a big prob for me but it seems to snag on my bc buckles. Try it out and see if you like it. :)

As a first measure you might just try using a standard 3 foot safe-second hose as your primary with normal routing. Some people, depending upon where their tank ends up for proper trim, only need that extra 6 inches.

Primary hoses come in various lenghts. A 2" longer hose will go a long way toward eliminating the hose pulling the second stage to the left.

But if you are eventually planning to go the tech/cave/wreck route, a long hose would be a better solution. A 7' hose is more or less standard for divers using a hip mounted cannister light and 5' to 6' hoses work well for non cannister light carrying divers. The under the arm, across the chest and around the neck routing will also relieve the pulling and pushing on the reg from a too short or too long conventional primary regulator hose. And the long hose combined with the philosphy of dontating the primary reg in an air share situation makes air sharing a breeze. Do it once in the real world, and you will never go back to a short hose primary.

thanx!
I'm a tall somewhat big guy so i think that is the biggest problem. :) I've moved the tank to different places. (i get the reg pull or i get my head and tank hitting. The 6 more inches sounds like it would work but wouldnt my hose loop out a bit far.
DA Aquamaster: If i switched to the 6' hose and routed it the way u said, would i need any other training or is it a simple as that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom