What divers eat and drink during long immersion dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azhar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
What divers eat and drink and how do they do it during long immersion / long duration deco to maintain energy levels? Love to hear personal accounts from people who have actually done it. Just curious Regard's M.Azhar

very dilute Gatorade or sports energy drink in a CamelBak at 6 metres. Food a little more difficult. Easier in Fresh Water than salt. Roasted Chickeh holds up well... small pieces... Sliced mangoes, apples, pears. Swiss chocolate. Takes some practice. Be ready to share with fish...

While I have not conducted a substantial amount of long in duration or long deco dives, the few I have done, I took Go-Gurt (Yoplait Tubes or Frubes depending on where you live) to help keep energy levels up.
CamelBak packs work well for dispensing liquids.

I recently watch a short video on You Tube where an OC diver munched on marshmallows.

You might want to visit one of the websites that specialize in prolonged energy. Most running sites, for example.

When I'm doing a long dive (5-7 hours) I look at hydration + energy. I use the Hammer products: Fuels & Supplements for the Endurance Athlete | Hammer Nutrition

Here's how I do it. The pouch/bag (Hammer) has a place where I can tie it in so it doesn't get away from me. The cap is a standard pull-to-open/push-to-close type.

Low sugar breakfast (to avoid sugar spikes), the Gel right before I jump in, and the mixed fluid every 2 hours. If it's hot out I freeze the liquid the night before and carry to the dive site in a small cooler, as Hammer's products don't have preservatives.

It's also important to have something right after the dive. Gatorade has a good product line for that.

Attachments

• Hydration Pack.jpg
    Hydration Pack.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 441
On a weekend at Point Lobos, we swam out to our float at the base of the boat ramp, to find that Ben Vilao had been there first.

He was very obviously concerned for our hydration! He had tucked a drink pouch under the bungees on every one of our stages.....

27.jpg

The implied joke made us chuckle all the way through the dive...and, they were delicious during deco, too.

All the best, James

Been eating granola/power bars and drinking capri suns for years. I have taken bottled water, but they're a bit bulky in the pockets and if you drink half of it at depth, plan on the other half exploding on ascent.

I've not done any deco,yet but I've already practiced with my camel bak tied to my tank. It's quite easy to put the camel bak on the tank and run the drinking strap over the shoulder to drink. My husband and I usually share one camel bak for the dive. Works well to take care of dry mouth with compressed air,as well as keeping hydration up on multiple dives. I tend to have a very dry mouth for medical reasons so a camel bak while diving is well appreciated.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom