What dive suit is needed in St.Thomas in Sept?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

msfreddo

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello Everyone...Just a quick question..diving in St Thomas in Sept..does anyone know the expected vis and approx what wetsuit is needed? Can I get by with a diveskin, shorty or is a 3mm recommended?

(p.s. I'm 6'2 230 so I don't get cold easily..LOL)

Also, is there a website with conditions on this area?

thank you,

Mike :)

Dive skin or 3mm shorty.
I would go for the dive skin, take a fleece and a quick dry towel with you to keep warm on the boat trips.

I dive a minimum of 3mm full. Shortys are fine but I like the protection of a full

I agree with the above. I typically am down that way in September and I dive w/ a 3mil shorty and it is plenty for the temp. If you desire more protection from the sea life, a full coverage skin or 3 mill full suit will suffice.

You can "expect" the viz to be between 50-100 feet or even better depending on conditions and the exact site. This is of course a hard question to answer though. Kinda like asking will it rain.

As for the wet suit question, I personally use a 3 mil full and nothing less for both warmth and protection, especially if i am doing 20 dives in a week. Given your stats, you will likely be plenty warm using a 3 mil shorty or even a bathing suit. You can expect the water temp to be around 82 degrees on average.

Have fun!!!

msfreddo:
Are you talking about protection from fire coral, urchins..etc?

Sure, we tend stay off the reef but having the limbs covered just gives that much more protection. Not so much with urchins :shakehead . Also,never know when you may cross with a jelly or even a lose tenticle. I hit a bit of fire coral on my OW cert dive back in 91 (Guantanamo Bay, Cuba), raked the lower part of the leg. Diving in just a t-shirt and shorts. Learned real fast. Cover up.

I dove there in September and I wore just a bathing suit-No problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom