What dive suit is needed in St.Thomas in Sept?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove there in April and used a rash guard and swim suit. Our male dive leader went bare chested in a swim suit. This was a beach dive but the water was warm and down to 60 ft no change in temp.

I dove St. thomas in July with a 3mil full, and it was almost too much for me. Next time around, I'd use a shorty. go with what you prefer though.

I'd recommend a full 3mm,
Since
A)you say you don't get cold easily and
B) Water temperatures in September will still be quite warm

I dive with a 3 mm full, even in warmer water, more for coverage against rocks/jelly's that kind of stuff, if you are prone to overheating you might want to consider a full skin just for protection sake.

I'm a new diver.

I've snorkeled in the VI many times of the year and always in swim trunks. For diving I'd want more, but how much I can't say. I often see the advice pattern here go from swim suit to skin, then a jump up to 3mm shorty, & 3mm full. Is there something wrong with a 1mm or a 3/2? I was about to buy a 1mm but I can't find too many references to a 1mm full suit and I'm beginning to think I should reconsider...

--Dave

GyroDave, when we go diving we try and dive as much as possible, we tried a 3 mm shorty our first trip to Maui and it was ok for the first couple of days and then got pretty chilly. We dive in Cayman and also dive the 3 mm full and am very comfortable the entire trip, and the other reason is you just never know whats in the water so it gives you that added protection. You also need to consider your depth and bottom time, we will spend about an hour and 10/20 minutes at about 30/40 feet so the 3 mm gives just enough to keep comfy for those lengthy dives :) hope that helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom