What did you just say?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I buddied up with a guy while diving some wrecks off of Orange Beach. We were about to go on our second dive and he informs me that he has a blister so he is going to dive with his fins.

I have to admit I am a bit puzzled by this.

A lot of people do denigrate the use of the snorkel, but I am not clear on how having or not having a snorkel on your mask has an impact on whether or not you run out of air at depth. Please explain.

I read a lot of ScubaBoard, and I don't see a lot of people saying you should not practice CESAs. In fact, I'm drawing a complete blank on that one. Please direct me to these prevalent threads, and then explain the influence on CESA practice on the amount of air needed at depth.

I am also drawing a blank on the prevalence of threads in which people are advised not to have ditchable weight. Perhaps you could supply me with some links to that, and while you are at it, tell me what this has to do with the amount of gas needed to ascend at the end of a dive.

The last couple I remember...
CESA: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/450088-max-depth-cesa.html
Ditchable weight: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ad...ns/289280-how-wear-weight-belt-dir-setup.html

The point of all three points is not about gas planning but rather, worrying about going OOA after the SS from 15' to the surface and/or remaining on the surface. It is related in context to the discussion as to whether the saying "be back on the surface with 500psi" leaves one with enough, or not enough, gas.

I said it was more than enough.
Someone else replied that the gas could be necessary on the surface.

My next reply was to suggest that with comfort in CESA's running out of gas post SS, between 15' and the surface shouldn't be an issue and that with both a snorkel and ditchable weight there was no reason to need canned gas on the surface but that these simple concepts find disfavour with some.

If one is afraid of simple CESA's, has no ditchable weight, no snorkel, and insists on diving in rough conditions - one may very well need 500psi after the SS and/or to breath on the surface.

Of course, some also insist that you don't even need to know how to swim to dive so there's that too.

But I wouldn't knock someone for disagreeing with my POV. The point point point being that choices in one area have consequences in other areas and we should try to understand what those are.

Last edited:
This is one which I've almost forgotten. When I ordered gloves before taking my first dive in open water, someone said to me that she doesn't believe in gloves because she's not going to touch or hurt anything which I found really stupid and insulting since I work fulltime in animal protection and that sounded like an accusation that I was going out to kill something in the sea.

Dove with a guy that when I asked how much air he had left, his reply: The ok sign.
ACTUALLY-I always ask that question at end of dive brief. So far Ive had about 7 variations on how the DM want the air use information.
One wanted bar no matter how much
One said use ok till at half tank then countdown.
One who is more of a dive buddy than DM when we dive together just expects me to tell him if I'm getting low.

At the Coroner's Inquest into the death of a person in North Queensland (very well known event), the Police diver who was being treated as an expert attempted to explain how dive tables worked. He said something like "If you are diving to 14 metres, when you look up the dive table there is no 13 metre line. All the lines are in multiples of 3. So what you do in this case is look at the 12 metre line and use this to figure out your no deco limit".

At the Coroner's Inquest into the death of a person in North Queensland (very well known event), the Police diver who was being treated as an expert attempted to explain how dive tables worked. He said something like "If you are diving to 14 metres, when you look up the dive table there is no 13 metre line. All the lines are in multiples of 3. So what you do in this case is look at the 12 metre line and use this to figure out your no deco limit".

Did they put him in jail? :D

This is one which I've almost forgotten. When I ordered gloves before taking my first dive in open water, someone said to me that she doesn't believe in gloves because she's not going to touch or hurt anything which I found really stupid and insulting since I work fulltime in animal protection and that sounded like an accusation that I was going out to kill something in the sea.

There are places you can dive that do not allow you to wear gloves for that reason. Grand Cayman is one of them.

Would this be one of the same experts who stated that, because a massively over-weighted very large male police diver landed on a different patch of seabed from the location the body of a fairly petite and not over-weighted female diver was found (having scientifically tossed the police diver overboard somewhere near where the original dive boat probably was), the woman in question must have been murdered?

There are places you can dive that do not allow you to wear gloves for that reason. Grand Cayman is one of them.

But I wear gloves for that 'justincase' situation. I'm not wearing them to touch anything. In fact, now that I've gotten my trim and buoyancy under control, I don't even put a finger out even if I'm rather near corals or the seabed but take a deep breath, keep calm and wait for myself to rise a bit before finning myself away. In time, I'll learn to fin myself backwards too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom