What did I see?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

old gaffer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Last April while doing a surface interval at one of the beach clubs we were tied up to the pier and several large Tarpon like fish were zooming around the boats and the pier. The boat captains and dive masters got real excited watching them and I asked what they were but I am very hearing impaired and did not know what they said. I did ask if they were Tarpon and they said no. I thought perhaps they were Dorado. Any Ideas? They were quite large and looked like Tarpon to me.

Gaffer

Last April while doing a surface interval at one of the beach clubs we were tied up to the pier and several large Tarpon like fish were zooming around the boats and the pier. The boat captains and dive masters got real excited watching them and I asked what they were but I am very hearing impaired and did not know what they said. I did ask if they were Tarpon and they said no. I thought perhaps they were Dorado. Any Ideas? They were quite large and looked like Tarpon to me.

Gaffer
Dorado look bright bluish green when you see them in the water and the sun is lighting them up while tarpon look silver. I've seen tarpon close in to shore plenty of times but never dorado, but maybe that's what they were excited about. I have caught dorado that went 50-60 lbs around Cozumel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom