What did I buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What did I buy? I local shop is closing and liquidating. I bought a steel tank that says "scubapro" in it But reading the stamps on the top it was made for Faber. Here is what I can tell. Fill pressure is 2400. It is as tall as an AL80 but the diameter is smaller. Looks like a taller version of a Steel 72. I could not pass up the $40 price.

Can you post the complete contents of what is stamped on the tank? It sounds like a Faber steel low pressure 95 (LP95) given the fill pressure and the height you describe. It probably has a + sign after the fill pressure also, meaning it can safely be overfilled by 10% (2640 PSI).

ChrisA:
What did I buy? I local shop is closing and liquidating. I bought a steel tank that says "scubapro" in it But reading the stamps on the top it was made for Faber. Here is what I can tell. Fill pressure is 2400. It is as tall as an AL80 but the diameter is smaller. Looks like a taller version of a Steel 72. I could not pass up the $40 price.

Also ... if it is in good shape ... $40! Wow!! I think that is a GREAT deal, but I'm not a steel tank expert.

dannobee:
If it's a smaller diameter than an AL80, but just a bit taller, it's probably a Faber LP85. Those are 7" diameter tanks. The LP95's are 8" diameter and look a bit fatter and shorter than the AL80's.

Thanks, I own two Faber LP95s. It's not one of them. The LP95 is shorter, larger diameter and weighs more. Here is some more info..

Height with no boot measured to top of neck: 25 3/4 (about the same as an AL80)

Diameter: 7 inches. Same as all me Steel 72s

Stamped on tank: DOT-3AA2400 - 87/9006/ 074 M8803FABER 1-87

the 9006 might be 9005 and the 8803 might be 8808. Three laters of paint are over the stanppings. The tank has current VIP and an 03 hydro. Looks like it was made in January 1987 by Faber for Scubapro.

This might be what they call an "85" but that 85 assumes a 10% overfill. So at 2400PSI this think might hold 77.27

It would be good to know for sure.

If anyoe lives in So Cal and wants a smaller steel tank Send me a PM

Back
Top Bottom