What currency to use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use cash rarely on cur and when I do it is dollars. Expect to get change in guilders.

Government/Embassy websites will generally cite the country's currency, but normally will not expand into other currencies that may or may not be accepted by various vendors. I do not believe I have ever seen a government's embassy website (and I have visited quite a few) say anything about other currencies. I do find sites like SB and others to be an excellent source of information on unofficial, but acceptable, currencies for the overseas locations I have visited.

US dollar is accepted at most places, but it’s not unusual to be given change in guilders.

Hello everyone!

I am headed out to Curacao in a few days. Have not been there since the split away. Is the Guilder still used all over the island? Or have they switched to the dollar? Asking because we are getting a great exchange rate from the dollar.
The Antilles Guilder is fixed to the dollar. (1 $US = 1.8 ANG) There is no such thing as a 'great' exchange rate, only a lower commission on the exchange

US dollar is accepted at most places, but it’s not unusual to be given change in guilders.

This is correct. One caveat - It's best to use Guilders at gas stations because you must pay before you pump. I was given grossly incorrect change in Guilders on multiple occasions when paying with USD at several different gas stations on the island. I can't say whether it was done on purpose or not, but there was a trend.

Last week:

Most small places use calculators and mostly give you change in Guilders if you pay in US Dollars. At the bigger places, sometimes you get US Dollars in change. Most bigger places list prices in both money units.

Last week:

Most small places use calculators and mostly give you change in Guilders if you pay in US Dollars. At the bigger places, sometimes you get US Dollars in change.
We had a similar experience last year. Needless to say, you are never going to get a great exchange rate at a restaurant or cafe - or at a gas station for that matter - so better to use local currency which is always accessible from bank machines.

Back
Top Bottom