What caused Valve corrosion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Had my pony bottle vized and they had to rebuild the valve because of corrosion. Said it wasn't water getting back thru the reg, as tank was fine. He thought it was from bleeding the bottle so fast as to chill the valve and the moisture entered when I took the valve off of the bottle?

Sound right...?

Since you did not affirm or deny the alleged procedure, nobody here will be able to answer the "sound right" part. Generally, valves accumulate moisture from the air compressor. The valve is a baffle with tortured passages. Because the valve is made of a metal with high conductivity it tends to shed heat rapidly. Air which encounters an obstacle which then forces it to change speed and direction tends to lose humidity in the form of condensate. Loss of energy (heat) may accellerate this process. There is a popular conception that "adiabatic" heating occurs when air encounters obstacles. However, if this were true in your particular case, the water would have been found in the tank. No, the likely cause is humidity originating in the compressor. Small amounts are deposited in eddy areas or entrapments. Water will not form in the working parts of a cold valve which has been removed from the tank because ingress of humid air is blocked by the valve seat. However, it is possible that a tiny amount would form in the orifice. This would be blown through into the tank and the valve would tend to dry out if the compressor air is very dry as it should be. I should point out that corrosion is sometimes found in a valve but it is unusual for it to be so severe to cause a problem. Cleaning and lubing lightly with Christolube should take about 10 minutes. Sometimes a copper washer or O ring needs to be replaced. Sometimes, replacement of the relief valve is undertaken.

Was this a DIN valve or yoke?

Edit: water can sometimes enter the valve stem (under the knob) and corrode the threads that the seat travels in. This wouldn't happen when the valve was pressurized only when off. Depending on the model, most valve stems seal with a teflon ring and if small amounts of salt water get behind that they could muck about. Pressure would not blow the salt/water out.

Bleeding the tank would tend to form condensation. That would be freshwater and not very corrosive to brass. Seems unlikely to me.

Yeah, rjack has a point. A pony tank could be susceptible to salt intrusion. Rapid cooling, contraction and increasing water pressure which develop during a descent could force a drop or two through the unpressurized gland. It's possible. Instead of simple discoloration of the brass one could expect some crud to develop.

Thanks for the in depth discussion pescador775 - a little bit beyond my abilities to follow and understand well, but you think the compressors may be to blame? As a traveling pony, it does get filled by a lot of different compressors - including one of questionable upkeep at a New Mexico practice pit I frequent.

rjack321
Was this a DIN valve or yoke?
Yoke
Edit: water can sometimes enter the valve stem (under the knob) and corrode the threads that the seat travels in. This wouldn't happen when the valve was pressurized only when off. Depending on the model, most valve stems seal with a teflon ring and if small amounts of salt water get behind that they could muck about. Pressure would not blow the salt/water out.

Bleeding the tank would tend to form condensation. That would be freshwater and not very corrosive to brass. Seems unlikely to me.
I can remember at least a couple of times that I failed to turn it on until in the water. It could well have been Operator-Error - mine!. :blush:

where exactly was the corrosion?
Aw hell, I dunno?

Back
Top Bottom