What can brown do TO you today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:) Sorry to strike a nerve. Lot's of Canadian's bashing US companies on this thread. Funny how it can be dished out but a little ribbing hurts you soooo much.

mempilot:
:) Sorry to strike a nerve. Lot's of Canadian's bashing US companies on this thread. Funny how it can be dished out but a little ribbing hurts you soooo much.
What do you work for UPS? That seems to be the only company getting bashed here. As far as DHL, I believe it is a consortium of European shipping companies. No eagle feathers need be ruffled. :wink:
As I said, I use Fed Ex quite happily.

mem, I think you're a little bit out of line. You blatantly insulted someone for something you obviously don't know anything about. I'm not Canadian and thought your original post on the matter was way over the line and was rank with misinformation and needless insults.

Just cool it, it's a thread about UPS, not Canadians. I've gotten a raw deal from UPS getting things shipped *from* Canada, and a lot of Canadians have gotten raw deals from UPS getting things shipped from the US. Since the latter is more common, I'd expect more Canadians to chime in on this thread than Americans.. but don't think the phenomena is one way.

mempilot:
Actually, I'd call you a sucker. First, you buy a $20 dollar t-shirt on eBay? Then, you must not have calculated the shipping cost before you bought it, or I'm assuming you wouldn't have paid that much for a couple of ounces of cotton to be shipped. Maybe it was the person you bought it from that was adding a little H to the S&H.

I bought a Halcyon Explorer wing from someone in Canada. Other than the long time it took to ship do to clearing customs, it only cost $15us to have it shipped down here via UPS. Did you ever think that maybe the taxes, duties, and brokerage has something to do with your government and not the company that carries it?

You guys really crack me up. You complain about UPS, FedEx, and DHL. You probably complain about the Chevy's, Ford's, and Chryslers you drive. Maybe you complain about the Levi's, Carhart, and other clothes you wear. Do Canandian's actually make anything, or do they just have it all shipped in using other countries shipping companies? About the only thing I don't hear you guys complain about is the beer, but oh wait, Molson is now going to be diluted with Coors! Oh the humanity!
You can call me whatever you want as long as you call me for supper :wink:
You didn't get it. The T shirt cost me 20.- $US shipping included!!! The 15.-$Cdn were taxes, duties and brockerage fees and as jonnythan said, I received the bill with the mail couple of weeks later.
I know that buying a T-shirt from abroad isn't the smartest thing to do but it was a nice shirt :wink:
I'm driving a VW, so I don't care too much about the Chevys or Fords but I know with almost certinty that your beer will not get any better through the merger :D Hopefully our beer will not get diluted either :wink:

Everything is cool guys. I didn't get offended by mempilot. Actually, I had les problem with his statement(eventhough not completely informed:wink:) than with other things, I was named on this board. Partially he is right though, because I allowed UPS to take me on a "ride" and paid the money to have my peace of mind.

Sweet. I drive German autos as well. I'm cooking salmon tonight, and the LaBlatt's is super cold. Come on over!

aquaoren:
You can call me whatever you want as long as you call me for supper :wink:
You didn't get it. The T shirt cost me 20.- $US shipping included!!! The 15.-$Cdn were taxes, duties and brockarage fees and as jonnythan said, I received the bill with the mail couple of weeks later.
I know that buying a T-shirt from abroad isn't the smartest thing to do but it was a nice shirt :wink:
I'm driving a VW, so I don't care too much about the Chevys or Fords but I know with almost certinty that your beer will not get any better through the merger :D

Guys, guys! I like Canadians. I flew with some of your guys up in Moosejaw. It was the coldest damn base I've ever been to, but fun! Played Crud every night until my fingers bled! And besides, all my neighbors down here are from the GWN. They just don't know how to dress right, that's all. :)

For those who think DHL is a foreign company, it isn't. Founded in California, of course California is a little foreign in some ways.

From DHL's web site:
DHL: The Beginning
In 1969, Adrian Dalsey, Larry Hillblom and Robert Lynn (D, H, and L) founded DHL as a service shuttling bills of lading between San Francisco and Honolulu. The company grew rapidly and in a few years initiated service to the Philippines, Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore and Australia, creating an entirely new industry of international door-to-door express service in the Pacific Basin. Steady expansion continued in the 1970's as DHL initiated service to Europe (1974), Latin America (1977), the Middle East (1978) and Africa (1978). The international delivery company was the first to bring air express to the Eastern Bloc countries in 1983 and to the People's Republic of China in 1986.

DHL has many entities, the largest of which is European based. I applied for pilot there and found out that I can only fly for the US entity. That part of the fleet is pretty small compared to the rest. Well over 50% of DHL is owned and operated outside the US. FedEx, based in Memphis, TN where I am based and have many friends flying for them, is wholy owed in the United States. UPS in Louisville, KY is the same way. Both of these companies are larger than DHL in the US, but much smaller worldwide. UPS traditionally is built around it's trucking fleet, whereas FedEx is built around it's aircraft fleet. Both have been making strides in growth into the others markets. DHL is playing catchup in the US, but controls majority marketshare in Europe and Asia.

mempilot:
Sweet. I drive German autos as well. I'm cooking salmon tonight, and the LaBlatt's is super cold. Come on over!
I'd love to. Salmon and cold beer sounds very tempting :wink:
If I would be in your area, you would hear a knocking on your door about right now :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom