What BC Do You Use For Public Safety Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I said it above: you have to be able to get out of your BC if needed. Your harness needs to be on your body under the BC. The BC needs quick release straps - you will not have time to find, and then use shears to cut yourself out. The ability to carry a second air-source, pony, is required by almost every situation.

Been there, have a box full of t-shirts.

bridgediver:
I still don't think I understand your set up. When you say manifold are you talking about a block or switch that you can manually switch from your main tank to your backup or pony? Or is the air2 supposed to be your backup air?

Leam and I are on the same team so maybe I can answer this. :D Remember....rookie here so cut me some slack. It is a switching block that you manually turn in one direction to breath off either primary reg (AGA) or the pony bottle. This is clipped off to a D-ring. There is also a chest strap that is used to clip their safety line.

We have training again on Tuesday night for check out on running the boats so I'm going to pull out one of their BCs and I can give you a better description of what they have. I'm thinking if I can't wear their BCs then I may get the Dive Rite quick release harness. Just thinking out loud here.

BTW, thanks for the t-shirt comment daniel. That reminds me I need to get one of the county t-shirts for myself. :D Hadn't given it much thought until now.

Mel

bridgediver:
D rings - I don't know. Can't see needing more than a couple. We're primarily doing searches right?

pony bottle a standard - I'd say up here in Canada yes. We're regulated to carry a bailout/pony - for good reason.
Down there, as I understand it, you guys can pick whatever standard (or even make up your own) so you might see pony's and you might not.

size - depends on your max depth. You should have enough gas to remain at max depth at the max search distance for enough time for the backup diver to get to you. Double the time for the 'freak out' factor.
19's work for us usually but we have a few 30's as well - were pretty shallow here

Would you say that a 40cf is too big for PSD? I ask because it is also the perfect size for a deco bottle, which I would use for other diving.

As far as standards, there doesn't seem to be an accepted one. Although, the National Fire Protection Agency(NFPA) is developing standards that fire departments can choose to adopt. Also, the Department of Homeland Security is also developing standards to govern PSD, mostly aimed at law enforcement.

daniel f aleman:
I said it above: you have to be able to get out of your BC if needed. Your harness needs to be on your body under the BC. The BC needs quick release straps - you will not have time to find, and then use shears to cut yourself out. The ability to carry a second air-source, pony, is required by almost every situation.

Been there, have a box full of t-shirts.

Your points are well taken. What size of pony would you recommend and would you sling it or mount it to your tank?

bridgediver:
I agree as well but there is some gear that is total crap and/or is unsuited for PSD.

I totally agree and it is a "very large percentage" of sport gear that is unsuited for PSD work.

That should fan some flames. :D

Gary D.

Gary D.:
bridgediver:
I agree as well but there is some gear that is total crap and/or is unsuited for PSD. QUOTE]

I totally agree and it is a "very large percentage" of sport gear that is unsuited for PSD work.

That should fan some flames. :D

Gary D.

I agree. You do with what you can. Down here we're winging it as it is - we're always modifying and adding strength to our equipment.

bridgediver:
I still don't think I understand your set up. When you say manifold are you talking about a block or switch that you can manually switch from your main tank to your backup or pony? Or is the air2 supposed to be your backup air?

Yes! :D

One day I will write clearly. Doens't look like today is the day though. We have two tanks, AL 80 and a small (30 breathe?) pony. Both go into a manifold that lets me manually switch which bottle provides gas. This goes to the Aga mask. We also have an Air2 that comes off the AL 80 so if the air flow from the Aga is messed up we can breathe off the Air2 long enough to get to the surface.

ciao!

leam

Leam/Mel - thanks for clearing that up. I'll calm down now:wink: It sounded like there was no pony in the equation there and I've heard of teams that don't use them and say that their air2 is the redundant supply. For you guys its kind of your 3rd.

Andy - 40's are great for tech but I'd say too big for PSD unless you're going deep - say past 100'. You'd have to sling a 40 just because of its size. Our team won't go past 60' - lots and lots of training to go deeper then that for PSD so 19's and 30's for us. Tiger mounts are the best but they cost (worth it IMO).
We won't sling because we're always low vis/blackout so a slung tank will be more easily fouled as we crawl along the bottom. - probably not a big deal in mexico though right Daniel?

HA -- I finally got Gary to say something controversial :D

bridgediver:
Andy - 40's are great for tech but I'd say too big for PSD unless you're going deep - say past 100'. You'd have to sling a 40 just because of its size. Our team won't go past 60' - lots and lots of training to go deeper then that for PSD so 19's and 30's for us. Tiger mounts are the best but they cost (worth it IMO).
We won't sling because we're always low vis/blackout so a slung tank will be more easily fouled as we crawl along the bottom...

We would be diving in a river, so I can see the point about snags with a slung bottle. As I look at the Tiger Mount, I can't help but wonder, if doubles with an isolation valve and independent regs might be an option. This ofcourse affects the selection of BC, which is why I mention it here. Surface supplied air will not me an option, at least for a while.

Gary, would the pony be used as a pass off air source to a trapped victim in rescues or are they always unconcious by the time you get there?

Back
Top Bottom