What BC Do You Use For Public Safety Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, based upon the vast majority of opinions in the PSD forum, back inflation appears to be the most popular. I must admit I am biased in this direction myself. Also, it appears from the majority of opinions that weight integration should not be used. No integrated harness, instead a seperate one should be used. The one area I am still unclear on is the desired amount of D-rings and their locations. Carrying a pony bottle is a standard, yes?

Thank you all for you input!

Off topic: What size pony bottle?

Sorry, I didn't fully communicate. Yes, we use the Air2 combination inflator/2nd air source in addition to our Aga masks, manifold, etc. It eliminates single point of failure (SPoF) worries though I've never had to use one for real. I also agree that there may be a better solution but I'm not sure what it would be. The Air2 reduces by one hose, and give a little more streamlining. The seem to need a bit of service though and require a different hose connector.

ciao!

leam

We use a safety harness which is the first thing to go on the body. This is attached to the safety/comm line. If we have to drag you back along with whatever you have become attached to, we will. You ARE coming home.

We use a backplate and wing set-up. Our cylinders are steel 120's with H-manifolds. One post feeds the AGA with comms. The other feeds the back-up reg on a bungie necklace. A spare mask is kept in a pocket. Weights are worn in a DUI harness.

It is a very clean set-up, and follows Hoarthian principles as much as is possible in the circumstances.

I have said it for years that there is no perfect gear for everyone. Each team need to get what works for them and the type of diving they will do.

The important thing is that with Rescue its UNIFORMITY. With Recovery as close to uniformity as possible but a mix will work.

Rescue needs to be is streamlined and extra goodie free as possible. Recovery can have more redundancy.

One thing that should NEVER be up for change is, if you wear and/or need a harness it GOES ON FIRST under the BC. So if you were to strip all your gear off your still connected.

I don’t like the Air-2 for PSD work. We use Shadow’s, which do the same job but are IOHO a much better and more streamlined unit.

My wife has an Air-2 but she dives sport only.

We use Zeagle BC’s and have for a lot of years. Not only do they serve us well, but everyone on the team loves them. But we stay with the Ranger or Tech. The others designed for PSD are IMHO not very good units.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
I have said it for years that there is no perfect gear for everyone. Each team need to get what works for them and the type of diving they will do.

One thing that should NEVER be up for change is, if you wear and/or need a harness it GOES ON FIRST under the BC. So if you were to strip all your gear off your still connected.

Gary D.

Hear, hear! Well said, Gary! :luxhello: :luxhello:

Rob

BigJetDriver:
We use a safety harness which is the first thing to go on the body. This is attached to the safety/comm line. If we have to drag you back along with whatever you have become attached to, we will. You ARE coming home.

We use a backplate and wing set-up. Our cylinders are steel 120's with H-manifolds. One post feeds the AGA with comms. The other feeds the back-up reg on a bungie necklace. A spare mask is kept in a pocket. Weights are worn in a DUI harness.

It is a very clean set-up, and follows Hoarthian principles as much as is possible in the circumstances.

I defintely like the idea of getting me back no matter what. I don't suppose you could send me a picture of this setup by any chance. It sounds very nice.

Gary, I agree that there is no perfect gear for everyone. Again, I agree training is key. I am just interested in seeing what the major preferences are and why.

Also, a question for both Rob and Gary, what do you look for in a harness and is there a brand you prefer?

Thank you both for your immense expertise and willingness to share.

Gary D.:

The important thing is that with Rescue its UNIFORMITY. With Recovery as close to uniformity as possible but a mix will work.

Rescue needs to be is streamlined and extra goodie free as possible. Recovery can have more redundancy.

I don’t like the Air-2 for PSD work. We use Shadow’s, which do the same job but are IOHO a much better and more streamlined unit.

My wife has an Air-2 but she dives sport only.

We use Zeagle BC’s and have for a lot of years. Not only do they serve us well, but everyone on the team loves them. But we stay with the Ranger or Tech. The others designed for PSD are IMHO not very good units.

Gary D.

Hey Gary,

Speaking of BC's we are currently trying to get some fundong for new bc's for the unit. do you have a dealer that sells Zeagle? Thats what I want but the team leader got sold on a scuba pro model in cozumel and I would like to humor him and test a few different rigs out in the water, before I cast my vote on what we need. Hopefully I will be able to get 2 or three of our divers there with me!

renpirate:
Ok, based upon the vast majority of opinions in the PSD forum, back inflation appears to be the most popular. I must admit I am biased in this direction myself. Also, it appears from the majority of opinions that weight integration should not be used. No integrated harness, instead a seperate one should be used. The one area I am still unclear on is the desired amount of D-rings and their locations. Carrying a pony bottle is a standard, yes?

Thank you all for you input!

Off topic: What size pony bottle?

D rings - I don't know. Can't see needing more than a couple. We're primarily doing searches right?

pony bottle a standard - I'd say up here in Canada yes. We're regulated to carry a bailout/pony - for good reason.
Down there, as I understand it, you guys can pick whatever standard (or even make up your own) so you might see pony's and you might not.

size - depends on your max depth. You should have enough gas to remain at max depth at the max search distance for enough time for the backup diver to get to you. Double the time for the 'freak out' factor.
19's work for us usually but we have a few 30's as well - were pretty shallow here

leam:
Sorry, I didn't fully communicate. Yes, we use the Air2 combination inflator/2nd air source in addition to our Aga masks, manifold, etc. It eliminates single point of failure (SPoF) worries though I've never had to use one for real. I also agree that there may be a better solution but I'm not sure what it would be. The Air2 reduces by one hose, and give a little more streamlining. The seem to need a bit of service though and require a different hose connector.

ciao!

leam

I still don't think I understand your set up. When you say manifold are you talking about a block or switch that you can manually switch from your main tank to your backup or pony? Or is the air2 supposed to be your backup air?

Gary D.:

I agree as well but there is some gear that is total crap and/or is unsuited for PSD.

The beauty of a forum is that people can get an idea of what guys have liked, not liked and why. It saves alot of time and money for some or at least gets some thinking going in the right direction.
Of course everything on here should be viewed subjectively as these opinions that we all have are worth exactly what the membership dues to scubaboard are...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom