what Bc and weight system you use for dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use both a BP/W & recreational BC. With the BP/W I am currently using my DUI weight harness until I get my weighting down pat (nearly there), when it is settled, I will use a V-weight between the tanks (I have to use 10 extra lbs when diving my heavy undergarment with my LP85's). With my recreational BC I us a combination of the weight harness & the integrated weight system on the BC (have to use about 46lbs with an AL 80) while in my heavy undergarment. I also have a medium undergarment which requires no weight with my BP/W & about 30lbs. In my light weight undergarment I use no weight in my PB/W & use about 8 lbs in my recreational configuration.

DeepSea Supply.

I personally use the medium plate, Torus 26 wing, 8 pound weight plates and a small weighbelt.

Hundreds of dives a year - never a problem. I love it.

Call Tobin at DSS. Dude will talk to you about your diving, about your set up (exposure, tank, your body type, diving objectives, etc.) and recommend a rig that will be perfect for you.

Try to get some of the other owners or designers on the phone - forget about it.

Go to the source. Call Tobin at Deep Sea Supply.

---
Ken

For single tank diving, I use a BP/W system, because I get 5 lbs of weight in the backplate, which comes off my waist. I use 4 lbs on the cambands, and the rest (anywhere from 16 to 20 lbs) on a standard weight belt.

In my drysuit (with singles), it's a DSS backplate and wing for me, with four pounds on the top cam band when I'm in salt water. Everything else on a weight belt.

I use to have a Zeagle Ranger. I use now a Halcyon RIG backplate and wing. with ACB pockets for weights. or a weight belt...

So if I use 8 Pounds now in fresh water. How much more do you think I would add for the Dry suit as far as weight?
I have a dive rite stainless steel back plate but guess I will have to get a single tanks adapters and harness and any recommendations on wings I dive steel HP 100.

You will find that weighting for a drysuit varies wildly depending on the construction of the drysuit and the type of undergarment you use. If you dive a neoprene suit, it will take more lead to sink than a trilam. The thicker the undergarments, the more lead it will take. Different materials used in undergarments will require different amounts of weight. You should be able to figure our the weight shift in your tank from full to empty. You can also put your DS and undergarments in a trash bag, squeeze all the air out and then see how much weight you have to stack on it to sink it in a pool. Or you can just guess on the ds/undergarments for a starting point.

I used a "best guess" for my starting point and then hit the quary with a weightbelt. After a few dives I figured out how much lead I needed. After that, I started experimenting w/ weight distribution for ideal trim. After some trial and error, I ended up w/ a 7lb assymetrical v-weight and a 4lb tail weight, plus I moved my wing up one notch. This keeps me horizontal in my 108's without being head heavy/feet light. I ditch the tail weight w/ my 85's and get the same effect.

All in all, it took me about 5-6 dives to get it squared away. I prefer not to wear ditchable weight in doubles so I took a little more time to work out the ideal weight and trim. If you are just wearing it on a weight belt you can get it nailed after 30 mins in the pool.

Back
Top Bottom