What bags are a must when you own your own equipment??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am taking my first cruise in May and also will be my first time travelling with scuba gear. I already planned to take the "normal" baggage approach. What I wanted to know is if anyone could tell me the procedures that the cruise ships take with the larger bags that they deliver to your room? Are they just as bad (if not worse) than the airports? I just dropped a good bit of money, well at least for me, on new scuba gear and I know I'd never hear the end of it since my wife preferred me to rent my gear instead of having my own. I just didn't like that idea (except for the tank).

Also....anyone going on the May 21st Cruise of the Voyager??? Could use a dive buddy (obviously my wife would prefer it be a guy).

As suggested by most cruise lines, keep a carry on with you at all times. I haven't traveled via cruise with gear yet but that is what I would do. When you board the ship your steward will carry the bag for you, if you want, to your room with you right behind him. Of course you may get a guy that the bag weight is more than him. If you bought the transfer package, from airport to ship, this next idea might not work. Check your gear at the airport and then when you go to the ship claim it as a carry on. There should be no questions asked. That way you don't have to lug it around inside the plane. Of course be sure to pack according to luggage gorilla standards you might not have any gear left.I wouldn't worry about the cruise line trashing your gear. :cool1:

The luggage that you chose depends on what kind of diving and where you are going.

If you are diving locally, two rubbermaid tubs will do. At $3 each from Walmart, it's tough to beat. I also have two heavy-duty canvas bags that I've picked up from Army surplus. I've padded both with carpet scraps on the bottom. In one, I keep all of my weights. In the other, I keep my flashlights, computer, reels, etc. I also have a small tuperware container which contains my save-a-dive kit.

When I dive travel, I tend to go to places where a roller bag can be used. I have a 22" rollerbag in which I put my lights, regs, mask, and bp/wing. I also stash my save-a-dive kit, swimsuit/spare clothes. In a larger hard case roller, I put my wetsuit, fins, etc. and clothes for the rest of the trip. I also have a large mesh dive backpack that helps me get on and off dive boats.

I am heading to Newfoundland for a week this summer. My reg and Camera are carryon in a back pack.. the rest my gear in a hockey bag with wheels, as for my clothes and such in a separate bag.. I will be using the bag which my drysuit came in.... Just easier to get around the airport with a heavy bag on wheels. As for my weights.. they aren't coming with me. The charter we are diving through is providing them.... when I dive local I use a rubermaid tote(everything fits in it nicely) and a sm. tool box for my save-a-dive-kit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom