What bag to use for carry on with your gears?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tommer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
unlike my previous trips this time i plan to carry on my gears instead of checking in for my coming up trip, which durable bags that has wheels do you guys recommend to buy for carrying a BC, regulator, computer, camera & housing? (i can check in my fins with my other piece of luggage if i have to), thanks all

The lightest one you can find. You're technically only allowed 40lbs for carry on baggage. I'm usually a little over, and they haven't checked yet, but the day may come...

You could also wear a photo vest (the ones with lots of pockets) and put a lot of small things in it. Camera, computer, etc.

You need to do a double take if you are planning to carry all that on with you. Your mask and reg I can see. But when you start talking bc, camera and housing you need to look not only at weight but size. What type of bc are you talking about? How big of a camera and housing? Are they in a hard case? The bag has to be able to fit in the overhead or under the seat in front of you. Most roller dive bags I've seen are a little oversize for either. I have Gator roller that holds enough tropical gear for 2 if packed correctly. But it is definitely a checker although I'd carry my reg and mask on in my regular carryon. I definitely would not carry my computer in a photo vest, one since it's attached to my reg and second the vests have virtually no padding and three, you'd look like a dweeb carrying all this in a vest. Carry on your mask and reg in it's reg bag in your overnight bag along with your camera. put everything else in a roller and check it when you get to your destination put the reg bag back into it's compartment on the roller along with your mask. Or do what I'm planning on doing next spring. Because my fiance is in a wheelchair I'm shipping my gear sans reg and mask to the dive operator a week ahead of time. that way it'll be there when I get there and don't have to shlep it through the airport and then I'll ship it back. Many operators offer this option just call ahead of time and ask what their policies are. It may be worth the 30 or 40 bucks each way to avoid the airport hassles. You may also want to ship any small children that are going along in case they are on the no-fly list like the 2 month old was a couple weeks ago. The less you have to deal with when going thru security the better. If only they'd profile more it would work alot better. Sorry just spent most of the weekend on planes and it's ridiculous what they do.

upon arrival on my international destination (with 2 transfers), 3 hours after i need to be onboard to a liveaboard for the next 5 days, just hate to see any surprises at the airport that my luggage is not there.

i was looking at carry on luggage at walmart 22x14x9, legal size for most airlines, it is big enough to fit my scubapro nighthawk bc and regulator, other gears such as camera with housing no strobe, dive computer can go in with my carry on small backpack, some other easily accessible gears it can be replace at the destination if needed.

I would double check your airline's regulations for carry on baggage... On a recent trip to Roatan, TACA airlines limited carry-on to 10 Kilos (22 Lbs) which wasn't really enough for my video camera housing. I had to take it out of the bag before check in, because they actually weighed my carry on! I managed to sneak it past them...

Whichever airline you are flying has the regs for baggage on their website, so just be sure before you spend more money for a new suitcase.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom