What backplate brands do NOT need a STA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guyharrisonphoto

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Want to rig a plate for single tank diving exclusively and do not want to mess with the bulk of an STA and having the tank far off my back. What brands of plates do not require an STA?

Thanks,

Deep Sea Supply (DSS)

I have a HOG (al) plate and an Apex (SS) plate that both have the slots for single tank cam bands.

I have the Golem Gear skeleton plate.

Want to rig a plate for single tank diving exclusively and do not want to mess with the bulk of an STA and having the tank far off my back. What brands of plates do not require an STA?

Thanks,
It's more a function of the wing you select, rather than the backplate itself.

By way of example, my BP (HOG SS) will accept a STA, but the wing (HOG 32lb) has tank stabilizers and the use of a STA is optional.

It's more a function of the wing you select, rather than the backplate itself.

By way of example, my BP (HOG SS) will accept a STA, but the wing (HOG 32lb) has tank stabilizers and the use of a STA is optional.

Umm... It's really both. On the back plate, you need the slots for the cam bands, or you will have to sue a STA that can attach to the plate using the two bolt holes.

And... You need to have a wing with the corresponding slots that allow the cam bands to sandwich the wing between the tank and plate.

Some wings (like HOG) have ridges sewn into the center wing that are there to help stabilize he tank. I suppose this can't hurt, but I think two cam bands adjusted properly should hold the tank on there just fine.

FWIW, I prefer to use a STA, just because is allows me to switch my plates from Singles to doubles easily without moving cam bands around. Yea, it will hold the tank ~1/2" further away from our back, but I don't see that as too much of an issue.

Halcyon Traveler and Traveler Pro. With the "H" logo for extra bragging rights.

What's nice with the Traveler BP is that it has pockets for lead weights, so you can make it as negatively buoyant as a steel plate with a weighted STA if you want to. Or make it as neutral as an Al or plastic plate if you want that.

Umm... It's really both. On the back plate, you need the slots for the cam bands, or you will have to sue a STA that can attach to the plate using the two bolt holes.

And... You need to have a wing with the corresponding slots that allow the cam bands to sandwich the wing between the tank and plate.

Some wings (like HOG) have ridges sewn into the center wing that are there to help stabilize he tank. I suppose this can't hurt, but I think two cam bands adjusted properly should hold the tank on there just fine.

FWIW, I prefer to use a STA, just because is allows me to switch my plates from Singles to doubles easily without moving cam bands around. Yea, it will hold the tank ~1/2" further away from our back, but I don't see that as too much of an issue.
Thanks for the clarification. Are there any 'modern' (for sale as new) BP's that don't have the slots for cam bands?

I prefer using STAs if you are doing boat diving and swapping between tanks. I find it easier to spin off the retaining nuts and move the plate and wing from one tank to another *each have their own STA*. For travel it is obviously not ideal as it is an extra 2lbs, and something else to worry about.

As mentioned above, most if not all of the backplates currently being sold have cam band slots. Historically that was not true. Most wings also have slots for cam bands, some like the Halcyon wings do not. You need to make sure that the plate and wing have the cam band slots aligned, so best to buy from the same brand. Realistically if you want to go STA less, DSS has the best design out there because the wing and STA are integrated, but you don't have to remove the cam bands to clean and store the wing.

Last edited:

Do you actually use the same plate for singles and doubles and frequently switch between singles and doubles?

I know it's possible, but without exception the folks I have first hand contact with that dive doubles own multiple plates. They have a "doubles rig" and a "singles rig" Kinda makes sense when often the harness needs to adjusted differently, doubles can require a less negative plate (not always), and there can be other variations driven by can light / no can light etc.

IME once people reach the point where they are diving doubles they are either doing so more of less exclusively, or they are teaching in a LDS mandated jacket BC and diving for fun in doubles. In variably they have a garage full of gear too. :)

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom