what are your scuba battle scars..mental and physical

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fire coral is a B*&$@!!!!! I have some nasty burns in my hands. I was watching a nurse shark when I got distracted and the current dragged me over to some Fire Coral....

I have been stung before but this one looks really nasty....bubbles, infection, the works!

6" scar above me right knee from some very stupid midnight free diving in Cozumel. Got caught in a "washing machine" and was raked across the coral. Left a nice blood trail through the hotel lobby, elevator and hallway to the room.
Another on my right calf from a piece of re-bar in the river pointed upstream.

My only mental scar is a primary stage failure at 80' in almost zero vis. Learned a lot from that dive!

Ya always here about boat drivers in Taiwan driving around with divers in the water. I specifically instructed the local DM that it would not go over very well with me if I saw that happening. He assured me that this boat never does that. End of dive, GF is on the back ladder trying to get on the boat, boat driver doesnt see her and decides to put the boat in reverse to retrive some others divers....im 3 meters below the surface and can see her clinging on for dear life and the dual props are wishing she let go. To this day every time I surface I have that image in my head.

Once it was all over I, politely let the DM know about my feeling with in ear shot of the boat captain....the boat captain made a snide remark "all the foreigners are the same, wish they wouldnt come"....He stated that in Taiwanese and my GF translated for me. Rest assured that we have not been back.

And my vote for the toughest diver on the board is.........CHICKDIVER. One tough diver but not sure if I would go diving with her. Maybe some of that stuff would rub off on me. :D

Charles

Misplaced Priority:
Well, I can't repeat what was going through my head. Being a fine southern gentleman, I managed to keep it clean. I had my daughter and son with me as well there were other ladies on the boat.

I did have to laugh at the guys from the Sand Dollar dive boat. I could tell they were cursing the guy in Spanish though.
i am not a mean person by nature, but didnt even say he was sorry, he would have been on deck , and i dont meen standing!!! sorry to hear we have a diver like that amongst us

Mental scars.... Knowing that I'm not that man who I thought I was....

Repeatedly terminating solo night dives in Cozumel out of fear of sharks. I knew it was time to terminate the dive when I almost pissed myself and spit out my regulator when I was brushed by a piece of floating plastic.....

I can still hear the theme music from Jaws.

Making a trip down to Austin... tried on my wetsuit I havn't worn since my o/w class, 4 years ago...that gave me mental scars...like overstuffing a pillowcase...

Very very minor physical scars compared to others; stung by sea urchin, fire coral, and bitten by anemone fish. I swear, in Bunaken, they bite everything and they guarded their nest around very big and high teritory.

Mental scars:
- Seriously afraid of titan triggerfish after being attacked many times, and the last one, attacked by three different titan in one dive. One of the attack lasted more than ten minutes. Fins save life.
- Circled by a shark within less than a meter on my twenty something dive, second dive encounter with shark.
- OW terrible sea sickness, would give anything for the boat to go back to resort. But there were other divers, so continue, certified, and grateful!
- Very first dive, did about five ascending-decending looking for DM/buddy in murky water. One diver aborted without telling anybody, DM looked for him, I didn't know what to do, when I saw nobody under, I went up, nobody on the surface, I went down etc.
- Accidentally touched a stone fish, lucky not its spines.

Had my leg drift over some fire coral while trying to talk a bug out of some coral so we could get together for dinner, but that one didn't scar.

A couple of weeks later, cut the outside of my left pec on a hose clamp on the backside of the boats ladder. Still have that one 17 years later.

I'm sure there will be more.

Physical:
- Fire coral scar, right where the beavertail met my ummm...upper thigh.
- Blown left eardrum (healed up just fine).
- Wish-I-could-die-will-trade-sex-for-dry-land seasickness a couple of times.

Mental:
- My first body recovery, don't have the nightmares anymore but still get an occasional unwelcome visual.

Back
Top Bottom