what are your scuba battle scars..mental and physical

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No trauma that I can think of that I ever experienced could be as horrible as the realization that I have to ascend. Major mental anguish!!

Torn ligaments that attach the bicep muscle to the shoulder. Currently recovering from the lap surgery to install screws to reattach it. 10 more days of sling then PT. Hopefully back in the water by July one. Happened donning a wetsuit at Jamaica when the boat moved. (I think) I know I managed to suck down all but 500#'s in 22 minutes at 40+/- feet. It hurt...

Nice big blood blister in my ear canal! Yikes that hurt!

Herniated disk & 4 mos. of back pain after lifting SnowBear's BP/W/tank/pony off of Uncle Pug (the boat) several years back.

Herniated disk & 6 mos. of back pain after lifting possum diver onto beach during Rescue class.

I own hyperberic hospital T-Shirt after enjoying a short stay, consequently I sport cath on even brief dives.

Psychologically impaired due to excessive posting on SB.

The only physical scar was a wicked reverse block for about a week that was annoying as hell. Made a lot of dumbass mistakes :D

Mental:

I was doing my AOW checkout dive in Travis for Deep and I freaked out because it got dark and murky. I panicked and tried to bolt for the surface, but the DM behind me caught me and calmed me down.

Type II DCS hit tryingto keep some monkey from flipping out and bending himself. Ended up bending both of us. This is where the lesson about a medic not hurting himself so he can help others came in. That sucked. Table 6a with follow ups.

vox:
Good Lord, Woman!

There's _more_????

Yea.. there's more. The best part was this though:

Ankle surgery- March 2000
Knee surgery- April 2001
Broken arm- January 2002.......

In late '02 my friends started betting on what I would break in '03 and there was a pool on when it would occur!

catherine96821:
is that permanent? my x-husband keeps lecturing me about that. I was getting bad reverse blocks for awhile...I have pretty much given up shallow dives . Deep ones, no problems.
The hearing loss and tennitus is permanent. I went several years where I would get violent attacks of vertigo that felt like I was spinning around in a dryer. You get all the advantages of being violently seasick without having to get on a boat. I was misdiagnozed as having Menieres disease untl I eventually consulted with a diving physician from Duke University who correctly diagnosed the problem. I stopped having vertigo. They told me I can still dive so I do. My advice to anyone who dives that experiences any hearing loss or dizzines, even after a week or more after diving give DAN call, which I did not do.

Desperate for help from anyone who has had these symptoms after diving.

I am 28 years old. Got scared from my first dive.

Anybody ever heard of "Barotrauma"? My doctor is recommending surgery. But I am not sure if its the right thing.

I suffer from bad allergies. It has subsided the last 2 years, but if I wear clothes that were not washed or worn for 1 month I sneeze and sneeze until I take it off and put on something freshly washed or worn.

In May 2002. The first time I had this symptom (blood coming down with mucus). After a sever allergic reaction to aspirin my face swelled up. No bleeding yet. I had 2 slits for eyes like a CHinese person and it went down in 3 or 4 days... by the fifth day I was on a plane to Tobago. No bleeding yet. Then I went diving (first time) for 20 mins to 30feet. I got out of the water my head feeling weird and within days the bleeding started. Came down as drops with my mucous when I swallowed. It lasted for almost a month. I took Avelox antibiotics. Then the bleeding receeded and stopped.

This brings us to present day. May 2006. While in Orlando... ate sushi for 5 days in a row and thought that was the reason I had a slight swelling on my left side between cheeck and nosebridge. I stopped eating the sushi and it went in 2 days. Going home now. Had terrible pain on the last 1/2 hour (descent) flights Orlando - Miami and Miami - Port of Spain. Back 4 days and bleeding started. Have been bleeding for about 12 days and it has receeded a lot. Almost completely stopped. Am on last day of avalox antibiotics.

I got back the report from the C.T. It said "Right concha bullosa". From looking up "Right concha bullosa" on the internet... it lead me to something called "Barotrauma" which is what I think I experienced.

I explained all this history to my ENT and he did not link it to the diving and flying. He did not even mention the word "Barotrauma".

Here is the C.T. report:

There is marked deviation of the nasal septum convex to the left. No other bony abnormality is seen. Minimal mucosal thickening identifed on the medial and posterior walls of the right maxillary sinus. The walls of the left maxillary sinus are clear. No fluid levels identified. The frontal sinuses are clear. The ethmoid air cells are clear. Marked opacity/opacification of the right side of the sphenoid sinus. Probable large sphenoid sinus polyp. No other focal abnormality is seen. Coronal views through the ostiomeatal complexes shows evidence of mucosal thickening involving the left maxillary sinus infundibulum causing minimal narrowing at this point. A right sided maxillary infundibulum is patent. Distortion of the right side uncinate process and right maxillary infundibulum by the presence of a moderate size right concha bullosa noted. This measure 1.7cm Cranio Caudal x 1cm Transverse x 1.1cm AP. Please Note this is a right-sided concha bullosa. No other focal abnormality identified.

Has anyone ever heard of this.

Did a shore dive at Electric Beach on Oahu last Oct. Coming out of the water, a nice perfect wave gave me a boost out of the water and on to my feet. Took about 5 steps and another wave took me out. I landed right on my knees. There happened to be a rock right under the sand that my right knee landed on. Never saw the rock but, boy did I feel it. My knee is still bad to this day and can't lean on things with it.
A couple of months ago I had to do a stair fall stunt for a TV show. I padded up but, still felt the deep bruise in my knee through my knee pad. Just put me in some bubble wrap and I'll be fine.

Mental embarrassment: My first giant stride off a dive boat. My instructor goes in first. I'm ready to go, the boat rolls as I go to step off, and caused me to lose my balance. It took me several minutes to finally jump. The exit off this boat was about 8 feet (I think). Once I took that first step and got in the water, I thought OMG, what was the big deal? I felt like such a "dufis."
For someone who does high falls as stunts and WAS afraid of doing a giant stride off a boat, makes me feel pretty embarrassed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom