What are your reasons for taking up SCUBA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My reason was fairly simple:

I used to swim down to the bottom of the deep end and it pissed me off when I had to come back up. That and I remember Col. Steve Austin fighting some sharks one time.

I've been diving since 1956. My Dad was an archeologist and got the idea to recover Babylonian artifacts from a barge that sank in the mid 19th century where the Tigris and Euphrates come together. So he bought two tanks, two regulators, and a copy of the Science of Skin and Scuba (a later edition of which I was later honored to permitted to contribute to), and we learned how to dive.

paolov:
i asked people why they took up scuba. their answers are so varied.

what are your reasons?

for me i took up scuba then as i had nothing else to do and my mountian trekking days were already limited due to "faulty leg joints" hehehehe mishaps from soccer early on would only come out later....

SO WHy did you take up sCUBA?

My Banjo playing sounds much better now
---
Actually, I was always interested in what was under water rather than what was on top. When I swam as a kid, I always swam underwater.

The high school in my area offered swimming lessons every year during summer. Most of my childhood memories are about those times. The instructor said... swim as far as you can underwater... I always swam from one side of the olympic sized pool to the other.

When I was 5, I busted my head on the side of the pool while attempting a back flip. The scar is there today (probably explains alot more about me!).
---
Underwater is so much more relaxing, even in stressful situations. When I first got certified, I would clean the bottom of my parents' pool, and fall asleep at the botom, most of the time.

Right now, I have some million year old bones soaking in vinegar out in the garage...

Wow! Thankyou Jim Fentris! (my original instrutor)

Growing up in Fl. I figure it was a natural progression. And, I will soon adjust my 201-500 dives logged status.

The opportunity presented itself. Then I fell in love with it.

Thalassamania:
I've been diving since 1956. My Dad was an archeologist and got the idea to recover Babylonian artifacts from a barge that sank in the mid 19th century where the Tigris and Euphrates come together. So he bought two tanks, two regulators, and a copy of the Science of Skin and Scuba (a later edition of which I was later honored to permitted to contribute to), and we learned how to dive.
Very cool!

A beautiful coincedence. I believe most (if not all) things in life happen for a reason.

Because I'm a "why not?" instead of a "why?".

Got roped into an intro dive in Aruba, and just went. Got down to the Pedernales wreck and I was hooked. 3 weeks later, I was certified. Of course, that was just a month (and untold $$ in gear) ago :)

mack50md:
Turned 50. Survived cancer. Wanted to fulfill a life-long dream. Asked the wife, "Do you mind if I get a motorcycle?" She said, "Yes I mind. Those things are too dangerous!" Then I asked, "Is it OK if I go play with the sharks instead?" She said, "Sure. No problem." So here I am.

So, like how is that insurance policy?

Stan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom