What are your reasons for taking up SCUBA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My main reason for taking up diving was to get closer to the marine life in their own natural environment. I made that decision after taking the Atlantis submarine ride in St Thomas.

I went on a cruise in 2001 and snorkeled the Utilla wreck in Aruba. The whole time I was snorkeling around the wreck, I was thinking man, if I'm seeing this much marine life up here, what's down there? I got my OW cert the following February and dived the Utilla in March. I've been hooked ever since!

I thought I had too much money...

I was wrong...

A couple of reasons for me. First watching Sea Hunt every week when I was a kid, when my wife and I were very young (? I still think I am) we would go to Crystal Cove State Beach and I would watch all the divers dive the kelp bed there and most important I wanted to take it up before I was too old to stand up with the gear on!!!

Two years ago when my husband and I went to Hawaii we went out on a charter and my husband, who had been certified for years got to go scuba diving with the turtles and the other people on the boat. I was the only one who wasn't certified and was snorkeling, I had fun but after that all I could think of was being able to enjoy this undersea adventure with my husband and not just waving to each other. It was the next year I was given lessons for my birthday and another trip to Hawaii to be open water certified, I got to swim with the best dive buddy, the turtles and got a close up with a white tip reef shark :wink: it was an adventure that I won't ever forget.

Because I heard they give cards away for just showing up.

Actually, I was too short for the Navy Seals. Now I atleast want to look like them.

World domination... :wink:

"Skin Diving for Fun & Profit" written by Gene Tinker in 1967. I think it's page 67 or so that really iced it for me since I had started diving as a little kid in 1961.
There's a babe all googlie-eyed over this nimrod who just shot a barracuda and she's wearing a bikini that was pretty hot for the mid '60's.
I actually wound up working with Gene Tinker for a while in Hawaii after I became an instructor and could recite the page contents to him from memory after 25 years.

Back
Top Bottom