What are your other hobbies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jimmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Mods, I'm not sure where to put this, so I put it here. Please move it if there is somewhere better for it.

I see all the time that people mention their other hobbies in passing in a thread. Things like flying, equestrian, restoring cars, and I thought since it's the low season for most of us diving, that it would be a good chance to see what everyone else on the board spends their time and money on, when they aren't diving.

I'll start. I've been an actice cyclist for quite a long time. Riding for fun for as long as I can remember, and started racing when I was 14 or so. Never anything too serious, just fun mountain bike and road bike events, some 24 hour relay events, and things like that. I've worked in a bike shop both full time and part time for the last 8 years, and now that I'm a design engineer, I keep applying to bike manufacturers, and hopefully I can make this passion a career eventually.

My toys:

My mountain bike. 2008 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon. I bought this last year, pretty much just for the frame and fork, ebay'd all the parts, and transfered all the top of the line parts off my old aluminum frame Epic mountain bike from 2003. Probably leave it as is for this season.
DSCN2064.jpg

My road bike. Built by a small frame manufacturer in Quebec, this bike has a front half made of TIG welded chromoly, with carbon fibre seat stays, fork, seatpost to soften the ride. Built custom to my measurements, it fits like a glove, and rides very smooth, but being steel is not the most rigid and high performance bike out there. I am building new race wheels for it, as well as adding a lighter saddle, pedals, aluminum/titanium stem, and a carbon fibre handlebar this summer. Any old parts that come off, go right into the collection in the closet, and when I do eventually replace this frame with a new carbon fibre ultralight/ultrastiff race frame, I'll put all the old parts back on this and keep it as my smooth riding bike for long distances where speed isn't an issue.
DSCN2068.jpg

Who's next?

Like I can afford any other hobbies.

I have two part time jobs. One at a bike shop, one at a dive shop. Only way I afford to feed the addictions. :D

We are trying to downsize our lives but over the years and in no order.

Hobbies/sports/interests:
Model airplanes
astronomy
photography (professional for a bit)
backpacking/hiking
long distance swimming
triathlons/marathons
guns and shooting (I don't really hunt, I shoot)
scuba diving
boating
bicycling
water skiing
motocross (Bultaco Pursang 125)
fast motorcycles
fishing of all sorts

Avocations:
airplanes and flying
mechanics
geologist
teacher
professional nar'do'well

My Pinarello with SL and SP Columbus tubing, all steel, many, many miles including centuries and 25 mile time trials:

DSCF0127.jpg

Alas, I am fat and old now and it hangs with the model airplanes, covered with dust and webs and dreaming of past glory days.

IMG_0004_edited.jpg

IMG_0089_edited.jpg

IMG_0135_edited_edited-1.jpg

N

Last edited:
Motorcycle adventure trips. I'm enjoying trips with camping equipment to remote locations on or off road on my Suzuki V-Strom 1000. I'm also a moderator of the California chapter of V-Strom Riders International group.
Most exiting one from this summer: Trip Through the Donner Pass Rail Road Tunnels

Photography Have some posted here and some for sale on Fotolia stock photo agency. Shot weddings for a while.

Guns I like to spend some time shooting paper or cans on a shooting range with my Glock 19. (No affiliation with NRA or any other organization)

Guitar Playing guitar - Gibson Les Paul. Used to be in a band in my teens.

These are pretty consistent. I have the whole bunch more hobbies (ask my wife :D) but they are mostly in and out.

Nemrod, I like the Pinarello, a classic. My first road bike was a lugged steel Pinarello, still being ridden by my dad these days. I also grabbed another Italian built lugged steel frame for free from the bike shop I work at. Brand new, never been built. Supposedly a Colnago, but haven't been able to find any markings on it. I'll probably put it together one of these days when I can find some suitable parts. Don't want to bastardize a nice Italian frame with Japanese parts after all.:wink:

The ones that have taken a good bit of time and resources:

Mountain biking
Guns (for shooting paper)
Watches

Scuba is just the next one in the expanding list

I don't have time nor the money for other interests. I like to read, which is cheap, ride my bike, and work out, but my favorite pasttime is defitinetly diving, and I will usurp all other activities to be active in it.

I have a bunch of things I enjoy, though I have never had a hobby I was as obsessed about as I am about diving :)

Anyway, I *love* computer games, mainly shooters, so I go to LANs throughout the year for competitions and things like that. I also love gokarting but only get to go every few months. Snowboarding once a year on a trip to the snow (this year I skipped it for the first time in a while though, to go diving...). I like keeping aquariums, just basic ones. I have an axolotl in one and tonnes of guppies in another. Swimming is fun and I also like walking, but only if I have my mp3 player with me :) And I go to the movies heaps and I read tonnes of books.

My other hobbies are Skydiving and photography. When im not diving, skydiving or taking photos, im reading about them!

SKydiving (me on a hop n pop from a C182 in Umm Al Quwain UAE)
n796015057_1182865_3779.jpg

n796015057_1182866_4125.jpg

Back
Top Bottom