What are YOUR hose lengths and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ooops...yes, that's what I meant. Thanks.

So you do not have any problems with the double loop? I guess my real question is whether this is just something I have to get used to, or whether something else about my setup is off (lengths are wrong or whatnot) that makes the hose feel mixed up.

I also wonder how much of a difference MiFlex makes to your rig. Have you dove your current layout with regular hoses, or did you start with MiFlex?

Is a 32" hose on the left tank too long if you add a 90 degree to the hose? Thanks in advance.

I started woth the Miflex. The flexibility is nice and since the long hose is stuffed, it's not flopping around like a Hog loop. I haven't noticed any problem with both loops lying across the back of my neck.

I've had no issue with two loops on the back of my neck. Just remember to put them on in the right order. Short (bungeed) first then long. You'll know they are wrong when you do your long hose drill.

6" Hoses for SPG's

12" inflator (route inflator from bottom up)

28" short hose

7' Long hose

I loop both hoses around my neck and dont have a problem

If you're going to stuff a long hose for diving with mixed teams, it's easier to get it trapped than when Hog looping it--something to be careful about.

Do you not have trouble with the two loops around the back of your neck getting mixed in with each other? Playing around with it, I can easily see why some people don't loop the left reg around the neck, but then you need a left handed reg and 90 degree bend it seems.

Short answer, no, no problems

After diving short hose left and long hose right I tried a change this weekend.

I dived the long hose left setup yesterday for the first time - thought I'd try it out after reading a thread about it here and some useful comments from people like RN. Also my HOG regs cannot be reversed so forces a longer hose to route behind my head for the necklace reg.

I used a 22" miflex short hose on the right (18" miflex is in the mail) with a 90 deg adaptor straight to the bungee necklace reg - felt great, hose is a little long but the 18" hose will fix that fine.

I used a 7' miflex hose bungeed to the tank on the left side. This doen't cross my chest but goes round the back of my head and into my mouth like normal. There is enough slack to perform an S-drill pretty quickly and easy to then pull out the extra hose for the full 7 foot. No change to S-drill motions and I clip the reg to the right chest d-ring as per normal when doing regs swaps

I liked the lack of hose crossing my chest, felt cleaner. 1 hose across the back of my neck instead of 2 felt good as well.

I currently can't see a downside to setting them up this way but am open to comments and suggestions as I'm very new to sidemounting but loving it!

(Actually my question is the same. Specifically, I have yet to figure a way to make the long hose work from the left. Maybe I am just too programmed with the neck loop from the right to think it through.)

(First a correction: The first post was meant to say there is no DIR for sidemount, but I apparently left out the word no.)

BB1, where does the hose go once you deploy the 7 footer?

...it seems like a good idea to get people to explain what their reg hose lengths (and reg styles) for their sidemount rigs. So what lengths on what style regs are you using and why?
I use turret regs (Zeagle 50D) on both sides. For hoses:
6" SPG hose, both sides. I have tried Miflex SPG hoses, and do not care for them.
15" LP inflator hose, both sides. I haven't tried something as short as 9", but that sounds interesting. I particularly like the 15" on the left side. It arcs from the first stage and actually pushes my wing inflator into my chest, where I like it.
7' hose for the right side second stage. I slip it under two hose retainers on the tank. When I started SM, I tucked less hose under the bands, and routed the long hose across my chest, and behind my neck, the way I do with BM doubles. Now, I am on the fence as to which I prefer, and have more recently been simply tucking most of the hose. The second stage has a bolt snap, so it can be clipped to the right chest strap d-ring, when not in use. I have omni-swivels in place at the point of connection of the hoses to each second stage.
34" hose for the left side second stage, on a bungee necklace around my neck. I tried shorter lengths and they were a bit too short for me - pulled the second stage to the right. 36" is unecessarily long.

I am considering moving to a long hose (also 7') on the left side, or at least trying it out to see if I like it. The current rig reflects the fact I strated in BM, and simply adopted the same second stage hose configuration for SM.
Does your set-up change when using deco/stage bottles?
No.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom