What are your favorites dives in Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Peter,

We arrive on March 1, but only for a week, departing on the 7th. Full Moon is on the 10th. Still, maybe I can call around and see where the latest spotting was, and make a decision then.
Thanks for the advice.

Peter

I don't know when the full moon in March is, but to stand the best chance you need to be out within 3 days either side of it. The best months are generally regarded as March-May, and the best location Gladden Spit. There is absolutely no guarantee of seeing one - that depends on luck and the skill and experience of the boat captain, and you want to choose your operator carefully. In Placencia I'd use Brian Young at Seahorse, the folks at Hamanasi (Hopkins) have had a good hit rate in the past but after some staff changes I don't know now how they'd perform, and Travis at Thatch Caye (a private island resort off Dangriga with a more comfortable ride down to GS) also seems to have the knack.

Hank - I'm expecting to be at TCR from about this Thursday for a few days. You free?

I won't be able to get out until Sat or Sun. I was out Sunday but the wind was pretty strong from the north, which makes it hard for me to go anywhere but due east, across the waves. Easy to GET south but I'd take a beating coming home.
Jorge and I found a really good spot just outside Southern Long Caye Sunday. I figure God must be protecting the groupers now that the lionfish are here. I cleanly missed 2 blacks at about 45 feet....shots I NEVER miss :)rofl3: yeah right) so I stopped trying to shoot anymore. Then out of the blue comes a spanish mackerel and I nailed it dead on the lateral line just behind the gills. Go figure. It HAD to be God helping those groupers. :lotsalove:

Hank,
45 feet sounds like a long way away. I hope you were talking about the depth? :wink: How accurate are those guns, and how close do you have to be?

Peter

I won't be able to get out until Sat or Sun. I was out Sunday but the wind was pretty strong from the north, which makes it hard for me to go anywhere but due east, across the waves. Easy to GET south but I'd take a beating coming home.
Jorge and I found a really good spot just outside Southern Long Caye Sunday. I figure God must be protecting the groupers now that the lionfish are here. I cleanly missed 2 blacks at about 45 feet....shots I NEVER miss :)rofl3: yeah right) so I stopped trying to shoot anymore. Then out of the blue comes a spanish mackerel and I nailed it dead on the lateral line just behind the gills. Go figure. It HAD to be God helping those groupers. :lotsalove:

It was depth. Sorry about that. My Baja Plus is good for 25 feet...but I'm not usually.

Have you thought about basing yourself closer to the diving? Southern Belize has some great places to stay and the cayes are closer to the dive sites than those on the mainland. The whale sharks will be around at Gladden, not really possible from the north of Belize without some serious time on the boat! Places like Thatch Caye are only 2 hours from BH/Turneffe and are much nicer than the mainland spots such as Placencia.

Back
Top Bottom