What are your favorite fins and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donnad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hubby and i are thinking about maybe getting new fins, and trying some different ones out in the pool at the LDS hopefully. need some input. also please comment about maneuverability with different types of kicks with your fin of choice, as well as speed, ease of propulsion, etc.......whatever else. thanks!!!

Mares Quattro. I'd go into more detail but I'm just about to go to bed. Sorry :(

My Force Fins ...because they are the most comfortable fin I've worn in over 35 years of diving and because they meet all my needs as a recreational diver/amateur underwater photographer.

MJ

Another vote for Mares AvantiQuattro!

I dive primarily cold water (drysuit) with single or double steel cylinders, and the Quattros provide ample propulsion for the added weight and bulk. I have a second pair a size smaller (hand-me-ups from my growing son :) ) that I've taken to warm water destinations where current was expected, and they were great there, too.

Probably 98% of the time I use a frog kick, so I can't comment on their effectiveness/comfort for divers who prefer a flutter kick.

If you can find an LDS that will let you wet test fins before buying, that's really the ideal way to go. Mine does, but I don't know if that's the norm.

Good luck! Hope you and your husband find fins that work well for you.

OMS Slipstreams with spring straps.

I am not a fan of split fins personally as while yes, you can frog, heli, and other style kicks they are (in my opinion) not as efficient at some of the other kicking styles as paddle type fins are. I have heard all the usual arguments about splits being faster, etc, but since I don't race anyone underwater I could care less about that sort of thing. And just to qualify my remarks, I did try a pair of Apollo Bios.

The slipstreams are like SP Jets, but made from a resin instead of rubber so they are about half the weight. I also have a set of Mares Quattro Excels, nice fins (albeit rather stiff) but I like the slipsteams the best.

Mares Avanti and AvantiQuattro. They provide a lot of thrust when you want it, and also work well for different kick styles. I actually prefer them to the JetFins for frog kicking, helicopter turns, and reverse kicks, but the foot pockets aren't big enough for my drysuit boots.

If there's a downside to them, it's that you'll feel it in your legs if you dive them when you aren't well conditioned. I got cramps the first couple of times I used them, when I was almost exclusively using flutter kicks.

Scubapro Jet Fins. They have fine control and power.
Just remember to pack them after you dive (hunger and cold tend to affect our memory)... :D

You got a new pair?

By the way, I'm with Walter SP Jet Fins

Scubapro Jet Fins. They have fine control and power.

Same here, best fins I have ever had.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom