What are your dive travel plans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yachtopus

Reaction score
Are you concerned about safety on the plane? And what about the long lines in the airports? Does the amount of security bother you, as far as the inconvienance? Would you fly overseas and would you take your family with you? Is the economy more of a factor in your travel plans?

Just curios. We have taken a beating in the Virgin Islands. Bookings are way down. The tourism board has been advertising in the states, But charter boats just sit and wait for charters and hotels are at 20% occupancy if lucky.

I know divers tend to be more hearty travelers, lugging tons of gear half way around the world. I hope you all continue to travel and if you can't get away at least get in your local pond for a dip.

Happy Diving

I plan as soon as i get certified in March 2002 I plan to fly into Florida and do some diving down there.. I'm not scared about flying after Sept 11..

N1Hawk

Originally posted by yachtopus
Are you concerned about safety on the plane? And what about the long lines in the airports? Does the amount of security bother you, as far as the inconvienance? Would you fly overseas and would you take your family with you? Is the economy more of a factor in your travel plans?

Just curios. We have taken a beating in the Virgin Islands. Bookings are way down. The tourism board has been advertising in the states, But charter boats just sit and wait for charters and hotels are at 20% occupancy if lucky.

I know divers tend to be more hearty travelers, lugging tons of gear half way around the world. I hope you all continue to travel and if you can't get away at least get in your local pond for a dip.

Happy Diving

Sept. 11 was only a little over 2 months ago and the crash in Queens NY about 2 weeks ago. I think over time, the public will adjust to some new comfort of travel. I’ll be flying to Bonaire next week. Although Florida is looking better all the time, landlocked and great diving.

mike

I am undeterred by recent events. In October I took advantage of the softening of air fares and spent a week diving in Hawaii. In about 3 weeks, we leave for 12 days in Belize, with a week on a live aboard. I also just bought tickets for Hawaii in February!!!

Extra security is a bit of a nuisance (and I'm not convinced that it does anything to provide added safety) -- but with a little thought and preparation, it is quite manageable.

I'm traveling more now than ever before in my life!

Liz

In my case it's not fear that keeps me from traveling. If i had the money, I'd probably go somewhere once every month or so. I don't feel like there's any reason to let the actions of others dictate how I live my life. If you're that scared, then how do you get in your car everyday? I've been in a couple of bad car accidents that were the fault of others, in which I was badly injured. Do I quit driving? No way. I'd go somewhere tomorrow if I could afford it.

Tanks for the replys. We know that divers are by far the best in the world. Keep diving and we hope to see you all down this way soom day. If any one is interested, we don't have a new years charter yet. Give us a shout and maybe we can get some of you together down here to do some diving. It might be a good way to get to know each other.

DIVE DIVE DIVE

I will be flying to Hurghada on 22 December on Egyptair, of all things :)) I am starting to believe that NOTHING can scare me or keep me out of the water.......

...and my family thought that I was brave for flying up to see them in Connecticut on Sept. 17th! No stinkin' terrorists or long lines were going to keep me from seeing them! And it seems that most folks think the same way as I do... especially the great diving community! We're seeing quite a few diving folks here on Grand Cayman. I'm thinking that us "diving folks" can singlehandedly pull the airlines through their slump?

Working for a company kind enough to send me out to Japan from the UK for 2 years I fully intend to take advantage of the wonderful destinations out here.

Currently on the agenda is Honolulu this weekend and Bikini in May - would do more but I have so many visitors planned in the next few months it is difficult to get away. But hoping to fit in Vietnam and Cambodia next year - shame that one will be dry or does anyone know any good diving down there!!

Would love to join you in the Virgin Islands but that is just a little bit too far for now.....

Hope things pick up

Jonathan

I've flown twice since Sept 11th professionally - and that's low for my routine - but it's the recession in the semiconductor industry & anywhere else that's got me staying home.

The new security stuff is slightly reassuring, and not too intrusive for my taste.

BUT - -
On Dec. 16th - I'll be off to my wife's family reunion in Australia! - Including 4 days on Heron Island [Assuming I behave!]

:D I'M READY NOW!!:D

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom