What are you using for a backup light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another vote for this light. I am not wreck diving, but I carry this light as a backup light. Very pleased with it so far. I also bought one of their spools with cave line.

I know many members really like a scout and Photon Torpedo comparted to the rec. oriented light. But, as you know, these lights share the same bulb socket as UK SL4. Only difference is the more rigid out-shell that is made of delrin. Does it really matter in practical perspective? I also have those two lights, but I think it is an over kill.

hoosier:
I know many members really like a scout and Photon Torpedo comparted to the rec. oriented light. But, as you know, these lights share the same bulb socket as UK SL4. Only difference is the more rigid out-shell that is made of delrin. Does it really matter in practical perspective? I also have those two lights, but I think it is an over kill.
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Scout and similar lights 3 C cells, while the SL4 is 4 cells. This makes a big difference on the tradeoff between bulb life and brightness.

I belive that SL4 uses 4 C cells.

UK SL4 Dive Light

$39.95 $31.95
onsale2002.gif

Smallest and brightest 4 C-cell dive light made! Emits narrow and penetrating beam.

Features 5.5 watts of power, high brightness Xenon lamp, burn time of 4 to 5 hours. Size is 6.2 x 2.46 x 1.7 inches.
  • Small enough for looking into cracks and under ledges
  • Precision machined aluminum reflector gives bright, narrow beam
  • Works well as a photo spotting light or to illuminate gauges and tables
  • Molded rubber bezel cover reduces glare and protects light
  • Includes switch for single handed operation
  • Available in neon green
Charlie99:
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Scout and similar lights 3 C cells, while the SL4 is 4 cells. This makes a big difference on the tradeoff between bulb life and brightness.

I spoke to Dave Sweetin at Halcyon over a year ago and he mentioned the newer Scouts don't work well with the UK assembly. I believe Halcyon makes their own assembly in house and they are different. If you use a UK assembly in the newer Scouts (the one with all the Hs), the light will come back on as you unscrew it more even after it is turned off. It's very annoying. I just replicated the problem a few minutes ago to make sure. It may be because the newer bezel is different from the original (besides all the H's on it).

hoosier:

hoosier:
Thats not the only difference.

But back on topic...I have 2 scouts. I have seen the Photon torpedo and its a very nice light. I wish they both were smaller, but 3 C's are 3 C's and not much can be done.

I used to use a SL4..other than having a switch...overdrivin bulb...and plastic threads...it was a great light. A very nice size. (It was the plastic threads that finally called it quits for this type of light.)

Charlie99:
Yes...Well...One has 3 and one has 4, but I do not know of anyone that has quantified the bulb life vs brightness debate stuff.

JeffG:
Yes...Well...One has 3 and one has 4, but I do not know of anyone that has quantified the bulb life vs brightness debate stuff.
It's a well understood and characterized phenomena, not a "debate". For the 4 to 3 voltage ratio like this, if one is using the same bulb (as at least the old Scouts did), the expected numbers are something like 2.5 or 3 to 1 difference in brightness, and a bulb life difference around a factor of 30 to 40.

There are generally good reasons for choosing to go one way or the other in a particular usage.

http://www.gilway.com/html/appl-tungsten.html is a typical set of charts of the many that come up on a google search. Sylvania, Osram, etc. will have similar charts.

--------------------

For my typical recreational night dive in warm clear water, my "backup" light is really more a second primary, so I want a nice bright light whose beam can be seen as I sweep it over my buddy's beam. A nice, bright "backup" allows me to continue the dive even if the primary fails. Usually, when traveling to a warm water resort, I bring along a PCa light that is both my primary night light and also useful for looking into holes and ledges during the day. In addition, I'll bring along a Q40 as a "backup" light, and also a tiny 2 AAA light. A lot of other divers on the boat will only have the one rental primary light. I'll often lend out one of my backups to a buddy that has none. The tiny 2AAA light has enough light for me to see my gauges and if forced onto that light, then I really would abort. Otherwise, I'll just finish off the dive using the Q40. Most divers grossly overestimate how much light they need while diving --- once your eyes have dark adapted a quarter or full moon seems almost like daylight.

Photon Torpedo and a Scout here. I like my PT better than my scout, it drowns it out in side by side tests (atleast in my experience).

Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom