What are you using for a backup light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have 4 (yes...i know...) Princeton Tec Impact II.
I originally bought 2, dropped one, and then ordered 3 new ones...now I have 2 for each harness...Lightweight with a powerful LED beam...need I say I like them? Here´s a link:
http://www.basegear.com/impact2led.html
They also have this light, which seems cool but that I haven´t taken into the water yet...it´s really strong on land though...
http://www.basegear.com/nightstarlight.html

Charlie99:
UK Q40 and the even smaller, but same power 2L. These are suitable only because I'm in clear water and the primaries are just 7.5 or 13W halogen lights.

If you and your buddy are using HIDs or very high power halogen lights, then you need to up the size of your backups accordingly.

I would like to see your rationale for such a statement.

Backup is just that backup. If its a night dive or wreck dive, its to get u through as you terminate the dive. (cave diving is something entirely different).

For NE wreck dives I use HID primary w/ SL4 as backup. If going to do any penetration, Q40 is taken as backup for backup. For FL and Carib dives now a SL6 becomes primary and SL4 or Q40 is backup. (don't usually take HID on planes)

DEEPLOU:
I would like to see your rationale for such a statement.

Backup is just that backup. If its a night dive or wreck dive, its to get u through as you terminate the dive. (cave diving is something entirely different).

For NE wreck dives I use HID primary w/ SL4 as backup. If going to do any penetration, Q40 is taken as backup for backup. For FL and Carib dives now a SL6 becomes primary and SL4 or Q40 is backup. (don't usually take HID on planes)
It is based upon my use of the light as both a source of lighting and also as a method of communicating with my buddy. If the backup doesn't have enough power (or more specifically, if the center spot isn't bright enough), then it's difficult for your buddy to see it when you cross his beam. The Q40, with most of its light in the central spot is particularly good as a backup.

If you scroll back up about 4 posts, you will see my other comments about using the Q40 as a 2nd primary, and a 2AAA light as a backup.

YMMV, but it looks like your choices either HID with 5.5W SL4 as backup, or 8W SL6 with 2.2W Q40 as backup is along the same lines I'm suggesting.

I have a pair of photon torpedoes that I always have with me on my rig. They seem a bit meatier than the scouts, but I don't know if that matters. Also, 2 o-rings versus 1.

What I'd like to see, though, is an all-in-one ballast-and-HID unit to replace the bulb and screw-on top.

Oh, and a pony. When wishing for something, you should always wish for a pony too. That way, even if you don't get what you originally wished for, you might still get a pony. I heard that from a little girl once, and it just made sense. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom