What are these in the water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christina21

Reaction score
Hi,
I am new here- not a diver, but a science and 'creature' enthusiast...anyways, I don't know where most of you reside, but I live in San Diego, CA. If anyone else out there does they know about Fiesta Island. Well, a few weeks ago there were a bunch of dried jellies along the shore line... fine and dandy (they were the normal clear ones which I have been able to identify)... but then the other day (maybe the rain prompted it?) I was there and noticed something weird in the water... I look into the water and there are these big jellyfish (I believe). But they are weird, I have been all over the internet trying to find SOMETHING that looks like these, but I can't. Some are about the size of 2 softballs, and some are like 2 basketballs (I say 2 because they are in 2 parts) The first part is the cup shaped thing that moves and directs them, they are like mushrooms. The second part is this gross looking immobile purplish maroonish blob that looks kinda like brains, but you can tell it is solid, then they have about 16 little transparent strings with little things on the end( you can tell those would stick to you if you touched them and sting ya). Point is- I have been going there a lot for years and have never seen them. Are they a mutation because the water is so disgusting there? (It is like a bay with no outlet) Someone tell me what they are if you have seen them... or I will go take pix and post them- I think I will do that either way. Any insight? P.S. I noticed that like an invasion they don't start coming near the shoreline until about 1:00 at the earliest.. but when they do it is almost like creatures from the dark...all at the same time! Eww....

Okay, for once I have no educated opinion. Somebody else field this one.

I saw a nudibranch on Discovery I think (Blue Planet) that sorta matched that description. I'll see if I can find the name and a photo. Don't know if they were that big though or where they hailed from.

Rhad

I will go down there pretty soon to take pix, it is 2:00 here right now, so its about 'invasion' time...

Chrysaora colorata (formerly Pelagia colorata) aka Purple-striped jelly. They are fairly common offshore in Southern California. Certainly fits your description.

jlyle:
Chrysaora colorata (formerly Pelagia colorata) aka Purple-striped jelly. They are fairly common offshore in Southern California. Certainly fits your description.

It's a stinkin' SEA NETTLE? Oh for the love of...

With the size (basketball) they kind of sound like Lions Mane Jellyfish. They're pretty common up here but I don't know if their range extends to your area-any chance you could post a pic?

Poog

By your description, possibly a jellyfish called By-the-wind Sailor (Velella velella). Difficult to say without seeing a photo. Strong onshore winds, over a period of several days, can bring them ashore. You might try contacting a local expert in marine biology to see if they can better answer your question. Hope this helped.

I don't think velella velella get to the size of 2 basketballs. I see them all the time when we get onshore winds here and blow them onto the beach and I've never seen them bigger than several inches across. I'll check some of my CA invert. guides or marine bio texts.

Thomas

Back
Top Bottom