What are these fish doing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wow, I'm jeleous that you got to happen in on this. Thanks for the video. I'll have to time some diving this time next year.

And yesterday was the full moon. This phase of the moon is when the snappers all spawn here that attract the whale sharks at Gladden Spit in the spring.

After watching the second video, definately spawning.

The females dart above the school, and lay eggs. Then the males bolt up after and spray them with sperm. I've seen this in video several times, never in first hand.

In the larger video you can see the males depositing the sperm, but I still could not get a clear view of the females heading up. In the low res version, it was anyone's guess what was going on, but it looked like spawning activity.

Of they were also swimming! :D

I've seen this type of behavior before by surgeon fish and parrot fish. It has always appeard to me to be some sort of mass feeding frenzy. Kind of a rape and pillage siege.

'Slogger

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom