What are the unexpected costs of gear ownership

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DougK:
As I start my research to buy gear, I am curious if folks on the board would give me some insight into the unexpected cost of gear ownership?

Realizing that the stuff you bought -- was really not what you want to dive afterall --- and ending up eBaying it and buying all different gear.

Kimber

Annual reg maintenance $75 each
Annual tank vis $10 each
Annual tank O2 cleaning $50 each
5 year hydro $100 each
5 year seal replacement on wetsuits $200
B/C-wing power inflator maintenance every 2 years $50
Annual computer battery $10

For an NDL diver that comes to about $500 per year.
For a tek/deco diver that comes to about $1000 per year.

I normally get all of this done all at once in Feb during the off season. This then keeps the dive stores happy, when their fill and gear sales are low.

Unexpected? Unexpected is leaving your Nitek3 on the bumper and then driving over it. Expected is annual service on most every piece of gear. The best advice is to be a rinse freak - it will help prolong the life of everything.
  • Regulator repair rates vary widely depending upon your location, figure about $25 per stage for labor. If you have to pay for parts, figure another $25 per stage. Cleaning and prep for O2 use (if you need it, new divers won't) will cost another $5 - $10 per stage.
  • A thorough cleaning and leak test of your BC will set you back another $20 or so, though you can do this yourself if you're VERY careful - the $20 you save won't go far if you strip the threads on the dump valves.
  • Computers should usually have their batteries changed every year, some are DIY, others aren't, if yours isn't, it can be $$$.
  • Most wetsuit failures can be attributed to poor cleaning or expanding waistlines - both are within your control. Otherwise, never fold them unless you have to - creases don't insulate well.
  • Tanks and valves require an annual visual inspection which seems to run about $15, including a fill. Every five years you're looking at a hydro test, which will set you back about $25. If you're diving nitrox, you'll need periodic cleaning and servicing of the valve, figure about $50.

Wow, 100 bucks for a hydro?
500 bucks a year for service?
Glad I dont live in california.
-g mount

triton94949:
Annual tank vis $10 each
5 year hydro $100 each

I normally get all of this done all at once in Feb during the off season. This then keeps the dive stores happy, when their fill and gear sales are low.

Some of the prices are a little high, I suppose San Fransisco is a little steep in that area.

All the maintenance points have been covered, but the most important hidden cost, is the cost of feeding your dive instructor beer on a regular basis. WHAT?! They didn't tell you about that!...Well consider yourself told, now go out and stock up on some brew for this year. :wink:

All kidding aside, just take care of your gear, keep it clean, and don't store it wet in a plastic bag. Take the regulators and tanks in for the annual service, and you won't have too worry about hidden costs. Stuff happens, but it tends to happen more often to people who don't look after their gear.

gjmmotors:
Wow, 100 bucks for a hydro?
500 bucks a year for service?
Glad I dont live in california.
-g mount
:D And here I am (in Chicago), looking at that $1000 for a tech diver and thinking to myself, "Gee, don't I wish..."

I never realized that I would spend a small fortune for trips to great diving locations on a regular basis. However, I don't mind it a bit! :eyebrow:

Carbon

triton94949:
Annual tank vis $10 each
5 year hydro $100 each

Me thinks closer to $250 for NDL by your own figures. You forgot to amortize the hydro+wetsuit costs :wink:

Don't forget the drysuit wax, at $4/stick for those that own drysuits. Wetsuit shampoo. Silicone for seals and o-rings. FILM, if you buy a camera (you're likely to use more of it than if you rent one.) Processing of said film. Talc, if you dive dry w/ latex seals. Fancy hangers/drying rack for dealing with your gear at home. Gear bags to transport your equipment. Overweight baggage fees at airports, if you travel with it. Tank rack for your vehicle.

Using drysuit wax will extend the life of your drysuit, so is well worth the cost. Some of the other things on this list may not be as important, but they are all things I found that I needed or wanted to buy as I accumulated more gear.

Forget about the gear you have, you're going to keep buying more. It never ends, I swear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom