what are the pros & cons of Sealife DC800 8.0 Megapixel Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jake32010

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
what are the pros & cons of Sealife DC800 8.0 Megapixel Camera?
anyone

Jake,

Are you asking because you are looking at purchasing one? From my personaly perspective:-

Pros: Custom made for diving, colour filters to cater for under water photography, light and not overly positive bouyant at depth, good customer service from the vendor, can be used on land, under water housing very robust and low maintenance.

Cons: Av Mode functionality very (very) basic if you are used to using SLR's, picture quality questionable ( but this could be biased from issues I am currently having),

All up I am sure it is a good camera, but hearing what people are stating from earlier models (DC600) and how good they liked them, and seeing the issues raised in this forum with the DC800, if you were considering purchasing a camera, I would go with the DC1000 if you were looking at a Sealife unit.

Cheers

my experience....

have had the DC800 since July 2008.

Pro's: Ability to take macro, wide and video without having to change lenses. Quality is good. Customer service is exceptional! Price is good.

Con's: Having had the camera for almost a year I"ve yet to really become proficient with it. Why? Becoz I've had a lot of trouble with mine. I've sent it back 3 times. The housing has a problem with the shutter button sticking down and not releasing...once that happens ur done taking pictures until u can open the housing. Sealife told me they've resolved this but I will be calling them today as the new housing i just received back from them did the same thing.

I've had a DC500 before this camera and do have a lot of respect for Sealife, but I can not honestly recommend the DC800 at this time.

I had 3 DC800's that couldn't take a clear picture, at all. There was a defect in the lens that caused the left side of the frame to be wildly out of focus with them.

They replaced it with a DC1000 which I have yet to shoot underwater but which at least takes clear pictures.

IMHO were I shopping Sealife I would DEFINITELY skip the bargains on the DC800 and jump right ahead to the DC1000.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom