What are the HOT cameras and housings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree, the tg-4 has a smaller sensor and less control than your current setup, btw very nice shot.

I'd suggest the rx100, seems to be one of the best compacts, 1" sensor, manual controls, and lots of options for housings.

Previously, I owned a couple of entry level P&S with factory housings from Canon and Olympus. Last summer I bought a Canon GX7 with Nauticam housing. I'm very happy with it, still learning at a high rate. it also has a larger sensor like the Sony RX100 xx. My favorite feature is the one button WB, has improved my ambient light photos tremendously, applies to video also. Pretty good standalone macro. The housing is extremely easy to operate, I have the Nauticam vacuum check, gives me confidence to always see the green light growing. I looked at the Sony at the same time and decided to go with the Canon.

Best of luck in your camera search

Any thoughts on the Oly EM10 MII? In a Nauticam?

Yes, I like the RX100 cameras, a lot, but afraid it might not be much of a step above what I already have. They are on the plate for sure.

IMG_6727_zpsgicmxmca.jpg

N

Do not know what your budget is, but ikelite has a dslr that is not what I would consider expensive. Actually reasonable, with kit lens and housing that can shoot decent enough wide angle and macro on same dive. Check out its Canon SL 1 package.

I recently traded in my big Canon rig and got the SL-1. I have been VERY happy with the results. I just got back from a month in PNG and feel I got some decent shots....even after flooding one of my strobes!

It is smaller than my big rig, but still larger than point and shoots. It has a few lens and port limitations, but I felt it did plenty to make up for it.

Check it out.

I think the rx100 would be a pretty big upgrade from your s90, double the resolution, a sensor nearly 3 times as large and all the manual controls.

How is the auto focus speed and shutter lag?

N

The RX100 - even the original mk I - produces truly excellent files. Particularly at base ISO, with a strobe, there's nothing not to love, and ISO 1600 is still perfectly usable (3200 at a pinch) for most situations. I'm not convinced the current crop of micro four-thirds cameras is significantly better in a lot of ways. As for AF, the mk I is decent to good, shutter lag is workable, but it's not a speed demon. I haven't used the marks II through V, however, but understand they have made significant improvements. Macro is the one 'weak spot', requiring strong diopters and a steady hand and more practice/better technique than I saw a lot of folks using 'simpler' point and shoots in plastic housings using. Wideangle I found it to be plenty fast, particularly if you pre-focus a little. I don't doubt the handling and AF on the E-M10 will be better, however.

I was very pleased with the results. Here's a thread of mine with shots from Raja, with an Inon UFL-165 fisheye and one or two stacked UCL-165 macro wet lenses:

Raja Ampat - April 2016

Some flash, some natural lighting, and my first real dives using a strobe (other than a handful in Australia with a rented strobe a year before), so a big learning curve.

Last edited:
I don't have any personal experience with the rx100; I can't think of any reason you shouldn't be able too though, seems to have decent auto focus and haven't read anything about bad shutter lag.

Back
Top Bottom