What are the HOT cameras and housings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
What are you guys shooting as I apparently need a new one. Prosumer, mirrorless, dslr even.

N

I just got an Ikelite housing for my Sony a7RII. Haven't had a chance to shoot underwater yet, but topside it's hard to beat. I've primarily been a Canon shooter until recently.

Do not know what your budget is, but ikelite has a dslr that is not what I would consider expensive. Actually reasonable, with kit lens and housing that can shoot decent enough wide angle and macro on same dive. Check out its Canon SL 1 package.

Last edited:
Budget?
Photographic objectives?
Past experience?

I shoot Sony A7 series and Olympus MFT on land, and an RX100 mark I underwater with wet lenses, because its nice and small and much cheaper than housing my 'better' cameras and allows easy wet lens use. If I had someone to drag the gear along and unlimited funds, I would probably go with the Sony A7rII, the FE 28mm, and the Nauticam housing with WWL wet widangle and CMC macro wet lenses with bayonets, which will both fit with that setup and give me the flexibility I like, and a pair of strobes.

Since I don't have the 8000+ dollars required for this setup (plus cost of strobes and arms), and dive 2 weeks per year if I'm lucky, I'll stick with the RX100 for now. And maybe get a second strobe eventually.

Interesting variety.

Not ready to go dslr I do not think unless it is a mini dslr which is?

Prefer knobs for aperture and shutter, minimum button pushing.

Aluminum housing.

Wet lenses a plus but not a killer.

Optical sync a requirement.

Vacuum test and moisture meter a requirement.

The smaller the better.

Fast shutter and focus with little lag, tired of fish tails.

Budget, not sure, substantial but not ridiculous.

N

I like my olypus TG4 its small versatile and fairly affordable camera,housing, solo 1,200 light with cold shoe mount and fisheye lens. awesome. around $1,600 for everything. I bought from backscatter.com california.

The back story, I think I twisted my door O-ring in a "quick" battery change and for the first time in decades flooded my camera. Oh well, I have two more (new) S90 bodies and the housing can be refurbished. I still like my S90/FIX Nauticam but it is moving to the rear of the rotation (or perhaps I will consider selling it) and something new is going to step forward. That something is yet undecided and thus my questions to learn what all y'all are shooting. Thanks for the input, it is all valuable.

IMG_6823_zpss93de8lg.jpg

James

I like my olypus TG4 its small versatile and fairly affordable camera,housing, solo 1,200 light with cold shoe mount and fisheye lens. awesome. around $1,600 for everything. I bought from backscatter.com california.

Backscatter.com has an excelent package deal on this at the moment that I think is really worth a look at.
Backscatter :: Underwater photo :: package deals

Backscatter.com has an excelent package deal on this at the moment that I think is really worth a look at.
Backscatter :: Underwater photo :: package deals

Those are great outfits. A good friend has one and loves it and I am very impressed with the camera, the photos and the ease and flexibility. However, it does not have full manual control and manual strobe functions and believe it or not is a few steps back from my current S90/Nauticam.

But, nonetheless, thank you for the suggestion, it is indeed a fine rig and price.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom